what editing program? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old June 28th, 2007, 12:13 PM   #1
New Boot

what editing program?

Hi guys,

Just starting out with video and should get my hv20 tomorrow.

I use a PC running XP. what editing program would you suggest I use, something simple to begin with.

Thanks for any help,

Steve UK
ps I'm using the cam for home use to begin with.
Steve Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 03:03 PM   #2
New Boot

Well I got it today!

Just been doing a bit of filming, in auto wouldn't you know it.
Played it back on standard tv and the colours look great, nice and
vivid.

Even the wife was impressed, Phew that's a relief!

But why did they put the record button there? It would
have been a lot better where the Set button is. Don't you think?

Best,

Steve
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:17 PM   #3
Regular Crew

vegas 7 is a good editing program wont do the pull down if that means any thing for you but if its just for home use it wont matter
Martin Newsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

As our "mate" Steve is from the UK, a beautiful PAL country, pulldown and its removal will never be an issue for him! ;)

But seriously, Steve:

Martin's recommendation is good, but Sony Vegas 7 might be a bit expensive for a beginner, so I'd suggest you have a look at the Vegas Movie Studio version. You might want to have a look at Adobe Premiere Elements 3, as well. It's also HDV ready, suitable for beginners and quite inexpensive (about 60£).

I suggest you download both trial versions and decide for yourself what suits you best.

Regards

Enea
Enea Lanzarone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:35 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks ever so much guys.

Much appreciated,

Steve.
ps I'm glad I don't have to bother with pulldown ha!
Old June 30th, 2007, 06:47 AM   #6
New Boot

Any comments on how Ulead Video Studio 11+ compares for us beginers?
Thanks
Nathan
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bray View Post
Try it before you buy, Ulead offers a full 30-day trial. Here's the link.

http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satelli...nloadContainer
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:30 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Does Windows Movie Maker work in PAL land??? Its a good program to start with as its free....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 08:39 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Bray View Post
Thanks
Nathan
Download the trials for both.
I have Ulead MSPro8, VS11+ works similarly for HDV far as I can tell, probably OK for beginners- but the issue is Ulead programs currently don't edit M2T, but convert to MPG2 PS during capture- losing the scene/datestamp metadata. So you have to split by scene manually.
You can use HDVsplit to capture scene-split M2T files, but Ulead will still convert to MPG, so time/space wasted a bit.

Vegas7 will capture w/ scene splits for HDV and edit M2T natively, and Movie Studio should so same... that's a big win.
the limits I didn't like for Movie Studio was in the DVD MPG rendering, as far as I recall it only would create a fixed bitrate like 8Mbps :( VERY poor (since I like to make 2hr videos.)
VS11+ may have some more advanced/integrated features otherwise (eg burning HD-DVD etc), but you might not need/be able to use them (who has an HD burner??)

download the trial versions, user manuals and such and compare. A lot of it is what you are used to re UI and workflow too so it's personal.
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 12:39 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Sony also has a stripped down version of Vegas called Movie Studio, Platinum. It handles HDV and also has a stripped version of DVD Architect and a sound program, again a stripped down version of ACID, on board... - All for about $100 US. Bought this about a year ago, and I assume same package is available, and I think it may even get you into discount land if you upgrade to Vegas 7 or higher later..... sorry, I guess I repeated what was indicated above...
Old June 30th, 2007, 01:53 PM   #11
Major Player

>Vegas7 will capture w/ scene splits for HDV and edit M2T natively
>, and Movie Studio should so same... that's a big win.

Unfortunately, it won't. Vegas 7 Movie Studio Platinum does NOT split the scenes. The Vegas7 Pro version does, because it had 5 updates since its release, while VMS had only 1.

Unfortunately, if you use HDVSplit instead, it adds black frames at the end of each scene, and so when you place them inside Vegas, you have black transitions you want it or not (you will have to remove them manually).

Moreover, Vegas' HDV playback in its Preview window is really slow (3 Ghz P4 Hyperthreaded here). I am personally considering a refund after my VMS-Platinum purchase 2 weeks ago.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #12
New Boot

Sorry I was a bit short on detail above. While, I've used Ulead Video Studio for a long while (and have the 11+ demo installed) I am also happy to swap to another prog that suites better. The problem I have is with the workflow I want does not really work:

Ideal Workflow for me is: HDV 1080i - PAL (but using 25p setting) --> Capture and Split by Scene with Date/Time stamp info available --> Simple Edits (nothing fancy) --> output as a HDV PS (not TS) for playback on an HTPC without transcoding non modified sections.

Current Issues with my proposed workflow and the tools I have (I've posted on the Ulead forum and it seems there is no workaround using their progs)
1) VS11+ will not split the capture by scene (but could use HDVSplit), but will bring the footage in as PS (my prefered output format).
2) HDVSplit works great for Capture/Split but VS11+ unfortunatly imports the files as Frame Based NOT interlaced Top Feild first so when it comes to saving the project out as HDV PS TFF it wants to transcode the whole timeline.
3) I could potentally live with HDV TS fles but would then need to change my direct draw filters on my HTPC to get sutter free TS files playing (PS already just plays perfectly....)

Edit - Any shortlist of Progs that do the proposed workflow would be great!

Thanks
Nathan

Last edited by Nathan Bray; June 30th, 2007 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Missed a bit!
Nathan Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2007, 05:58 PM   #13
Major Player

Vegas Movie Studio 7 Platinum will NOT do what you want (as I said above, I am thinking of getting a refund). Vegas 7e (which is the pro version, and have had 5 updates so far), WILL do what you want. But the difference in price is that of $400.
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 03:59 AM   #14
New Boot

Hi Steve, I'm in the Warrington Cine and Video Society, not a million miles from you. I use Avid Liquid 7 which works well but it is not the easiest program to use. Our members seem to find that Adobe Premiere Elements 3 is easy to use and cheap.
I am assuming that you have a fast enough processor and enough Ram or you may be better off editing in standard def.

Bill
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2007, 06:16 AM   #15
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Bell View Post
Does Windows Movie Maker work in PAL land??? Its a good program to start with as its free....
IIRC, this needs to be Vista. I know the XP version does not handle HDV. I have not tried HDV in Vista yet. Since he is using XP, that would not be an option.
George Ellis is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders