DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   MicroSD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/98037-microsd.html)

Amish Solanki July 2nd, 2007 02:57 PM

MicroSD

Hi All,

First time poster here. I just picked up a HV10 last week, and 'love' it so far. Looking forward to learning a lot of new techniques from this forum. I'm a wedding photographer, but I've got video experience in my past.

I ended up picking up my HV10 for $600cdn, which I think is quite the score!

My first question, is in regards to the miniSD slot. Can this camera take a microSD card in a adapter?

I ended up picking up a Kingston 2GB microSD, but when I put it in the adapter, and put it in the slot, I get an error. Even when I 'INITIALIZE' it, I still get an error.

I searched around, but couldn't find anything in regards to microSD compatibility. TIA!

Andrew Plumb July 2nd, 2007 06:40 PM

What's the exact model of Kingston 2GB microSD card?

Yes, microSD, miniSD and SD are electrically compatible.

The gottcha is often at the firmware/software level of the device that uses the cards. The SD standard is constantly changing, and some devices are coded more rigidly than others that anticipate changing subversions. Sometimes the flexible approach works in your favour, while other times it can screw you. Unless explicitly supported, you do *not* want to waste money on an SDHC card.

I've been using an ATP SD Trio Pro 1GB card with my HV20. It might work with HV10, but I'd recommend trying it out first, just to be sure.

Amish Solanki July 3rd, 2007 02:05 AM

Andrew, thanks for your response.

From the packaging it says the following:

SDC/2GB-2ADP

Some other info listed:

AC: VJ11441-00054466
LK: F606 GCD - 2760720S

Andrew Plumb July 3rd, 2007 05:10 AM

Ok, found the datasheet here.

A couple more questions. Did you get the microSD card brand-new or used? Have you tried formatting it on a Mac/PC by way of a USB adaptor yet?

If new, may be worth following up with Kingston directly or the store you bought it from. If used, could be a little too used.

If it formats ok on a Mac/PC (FAT32 disk type), try doing some low-level scans on the microSD card for bad bits.

Amish Solanki July 3rd, 2007 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew Plumb (Post 706332)
Ok, found the datasheet here.

A couple more questions. Did you get the microSD card brand-new or used? Have you tried formatting it on a Mac/PC by way of a USB adaptor yet?

If new, may be worth following up with Kingston directly or the store you bought it from. If used, could be a little too used.

If it formats ok on a Mac/PC (FAT32 disk type), try doing some low-level scans on the microSD card for bad bits.

Hey, thanks again!

Yup, I bought it brand new. I did put it in my computer to see if it works out of the package, and it worked fine. I just put it back in my computer, and i'm formating it, just to see if that helps. (It showed FAT, so I'm making it FAT32).

Is there actual documentation that the HV10 has no problems with microSD?

edit: So I tired using the card after I formatted it, and same problem.

Dave Blackhurst July 3rd, 2007 11:50 AM

FWIW, I too had problems with the MiniSD card - had one Sandisk puchased online that I now suspect might have been a grey market knockoff, but it looked IDENTICAL to the next one (also Sandisk) I purchased locally (at an office supply chain) that worked just fine...

The one that wouldn't work in the cam registers on my computer... so there's some strangeness going on.

Amish Solanki July 3rd, 2007 12:24 PM

Yeah I can't be bothered to buy online (hint ebay hint) due to the amount of crappy fake cards out there. I only by from known local retailers, so I know i'm not going to run into that problem.

Dave you mentioned 'miniSD'. Did you mean 'microsD'?

Andrew Plumb July 3rd, 2007 02:53 PM

Yeah, things are going to be a more flexible when using it in the computer because the little USB dongle does the interfacing. The computer just sees it as any ol' USB storage device and uses the generic USB driver accordingly.

Unless there are firmware upgrades available for the HV10 (someone else here may know), you may be stuck returning that card and bringing your HV10 along to find something that works.

...Or the reason you only had to pay $600 was because of a problem with the miniSD card slot. It's still a new enough gadget that you may be able to get it fixed by Canon under warranty.

Amish Solanki July 3rd, 2007 07:32 PM

Hmmm yeah I didn't think to even look into firmware upgrades. I'll do that tonight. Well the HV10 that I bought was a store return. Otherwise in mint condition. The open box price was $810. It had everything in the box. In their clearance display there was another HV10 with a big scratch on the side of it, and nothing else (no box, cables, etc) for $599. I told them (futureshop) to match the price to that one. After a little ho and hum, they agreed to do it. So because of that I also bought their extended warrenty.

Now some of you may be like 'OMG, Futureshop and extended warrenty?! Are you nuts?!" Not really. I've dealt with them enough that I know how to get things done. I was also assured by a manager there (also have it hand-written) that if 'anything' was to go wrong that Canon couldn't fix, then they (FS) would upgrade me to the newest model (ie: HV20).

But my first step is to take my HV10 into a store and test out another microSD, and if that doesn't work, then try out a miniSD. I'll let you know how it all pans out.

Dave Blackhurst July 4th, 2007 12:50 AM

I believe there are three "SD" card sizes - 'regular' SD, about the size of a big postage stamp, the miniSD that the HV20 takes (not sure about which one the 10 takes), and then the microSD, that seems to be a cell phone (Like my Razr) item. I guess as technology shrinks they have to continue to shrink the memory cards/sticks - I think I saw Sony had a new memory stick smaller than the duo...

Chris Hurd July 4th, 2007 12:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Solanki (Post 706521)
Dave you mentioned 'miniSD'. Did you mean 'microsD'?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amish Solanki (Post 706681)
... test out another microSD, and if that doesn't work, then try out a miniSD.

Sorry but I'm not following you here. Mini SD and Micro SD are two different things altogether. The Canon HV10 and HV20 camcorders take Mini SD only. A Micro SD card wouldn't fit. I suppose there might be such a thing as a Mini-to-Micro adapter but I've never seen one and they can't be very easy to find. See attached pics to get an idea of how different they are. The only thing they have in common is the full-size SD adapter that comes with each card.

Chris Hurd July 4th, 2007 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 707033)
I suppose there might be such a thing as a Mini-to-Micro adapter but I've never seen one and they can't be very easy to find.

Oops -- okay so maybe they're easier to find than I suspected. I just checked Andrew Plumb's link (above) to ATP Inc.'s SD Trio: http://flash.atpinc.com/products/vie...roduct_id=1366

And there it is, a Micro SD card with both Mini and Full SD adapters. So I stand corrected. However I have yet to see such a combo in any of the homogeneous brick 'n' mortar retailers such as WalMart, Target, BestBuy, etc. Thanks for the link Andrew,

Bert Na July 4th, 2007 12:36 PM

There are adapters for microSD to miniSD to SD

http://www.tech2.com/media/images/im...ck_450x360.jpg

Andrew Plumb July 4th, 2007 06:15 PM

Yep, that ATP adapted microSD card is the exact one I'm using with my HV20 so I know it works in my case. The HV10 being an older model though, it wouldn't be the first time I've seen things get funky with using newer cards in older gear.

Seeing as the HV10 was bough from FS, and most "sales reps" there tend to be of the utterly-clueless-commissioned sort... Here's to hoping you convince them to upgrade it to an HV20, Amish! ;-)

Amish Solanki July 9th, 2007 07:28 PM

The picture that bert posted is the exact one I have (cept I have the 2g).

I ended up getting another one from the store I purchased to make sure the card wasn't bad. Still got a card error.

So I went and bought a actual 1gb miniSD card (no adapter). Guess what? Card error. So it seems like there is a problem with the card port.

So, now to see if futureshop will hold up to what they said. Unless they can find a card that works in this camera (both cards I've tried are Kingston brand), then I'm guessing a upgrade to a HV20 is in order.

I'll post up info as it comes.

Well I figured I'd call up FS customer service before going in. They opened a file for me, and told me to call Canon first before going into FS. I'll call Canon tomorrow and see what they say.