HV20 Scene detection at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 5th, 2007, 03:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

HV20 Scene detection

I borrowed a HV20 to use as a second camera in a shoot today. I took the tape and put it into my older Sony HC-85 to upload to my computer and Vegas 6.0d. The footage was shot in SD and 4:3 to keep things simple with all the other camcorders there.

When I uploaded to video, Vegas captured the HV20 clips as one long clip! Do I need to use the HV20 to transfer the video to get clips at each "pause?" Is there a setting on the camera that will create clips? Hopefully this is a setting that does not need to be made BEFORE you record the footage! Before I manually split up the 1 hour video, someone please tell me there is a better way!
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:15 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Did you make sure the "Enable DV scene detection" was enabled in Vegas' VidCap (under Preferences/Capture)
Nathan Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 01:11 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Yes, that setting is correct. I forgot to mention that the video shot on the Sony captured properly and displayed clips.
Colin Sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 10:31 AM   #4
Tourist

have you set the clock/date in your camcorder? I got the same problem with my Sony VX2100. After setting up the clock, then vegas will capture split videos.You can try this solution with your HV20.
Azril Aziz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 11:48 AM   #5
Major Player

This is known limitation -- one that really made me angry when I discovered it on Vegas Movie Studio 7 Platinum that I bought just 20 days ago. You have to either buy Vegas 7 Pro *and* update to 7e version, or buy Vegas Movie Studio 8 Platinum which came out last Monday which enables the feature. If Sony had any degree of gentleman-ship, they would have released updates for VMS7 as they did for Vegas Pro 7, but they didn't release anything at all to fix their bugs, and instead, they pushed VMS to version 8, so we all had to buy an update. Personally, I am bummed about this situation, but what can you do?
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:20 PM   #6
Regular Crew

DV should be DV (you mentioned you recorded in SD), the timestamp datastream shouldn't be proprietary etc, so it should have worked across cameras. Unless there is something specific about Vegas "driver" support for Canons specifically, it should have worked (the later versions Eugenia mentions below are for HDV scene detection.)

The "set clock" question is a good one, when you play the tape back in your Sony, and you enable "display data" in the camcorder display, does it show time-of-day and other lens metadata? If it shows the date correctly, scene split should work. If it doesn't show anything, then maybe the Sony can't read Canon DV metadata, which sounds wierd.

Not exactly the same as your situation, but I've successfully captured w/ scene detection HDV footage from the HV10 set to "DV Locked" in Ulead MSPro8 which supports DV scene detection (but not on HDV), and I've also done for previous recorded DV tapes (from a different Canon Optura.)
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8th, 2007, 12:27 PM   #7
Major Player

HDV is a bit different AFAIK because the m2t is a bit different. With Vegas, unless you have Pro v7e, or VMS v8a, it won't work. It's a known limitation, and in fact, Sony advertises it as a "new feature" on VMS 8 (which was of course just enough to fuel my fury about this).
Eugenia Loli-Queru is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders