noob with an HV20 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 5th, 2007, 08:37 AM   #1
Regular Crew

noob with an HV20

Howdy folks:

I've had my HV20 a bit over a week now and I am still familiarizing myself with it. I am a photo/video hobbyist, and my subject matter is typically my 2 year old daughter and anyone/anything else that happens to be in the frame with her.

I shot a good 20 mins worth of footage yesterday, all shot in HDV (not 24p), and captured it with Premiere Elements 3. The camera was set to DV Locked and the PrEl3 project type was set to DV.

My problem: The footage is plagued with horizontal lines in shots with lots of movement, especially noticeable around arms and legs.

I vaguely understand the difference between Interlaced and Progressive. I'm viewing/editing this on my Dell notebook (15.4" 1920x1200).

I can't discern if my "workflow" needs tweaking or if my camera settings are messed up while shooting.

My goal with this camera is to capture our memories in HDV for the long term, but to be able to edit home movies and view them DV widescreen (computer or DVD) short term. I do not own an HDV display of any sort presently, and even if I did most of the family I send the video to will view it on a PC.

peace|dewde
Chris Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Chris, I had this a lot in Vegas when I was starting out. For me this would happen when I'd render out the video but didn't deinterlace it. I eventually figured out that I wanted to set it the field order progressive and then deinterlace using interpolated fields, though blended works ok too. After that, all of those horizontal lines went away.

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #3
Regular Crew

If I am following you, I shot the video correctly (camera settings are fine), and I captured the video correctly, but I need to tweak my settings when I render/export the video to my final delivery format.

I know from reading the FAQs and threads here that the HV20 "captures the video in progressive and then stores it in an interlaced container". What I'm fuzzy on is if I should edit it in "progressive" or in "the interlaced container".

Is "deinterlacing" the process of removing the original/raw progressive video from the container? Or is it reconstructing a new progressive version, thus losing quality?

I'm just starting to grasp these concepts so if I'm not making sense, I apologize! Set me straight!

peace|dewde
http://dewde.com
Chris Ames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 04:18 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I'll leave the technical terms and explanations to the professionals here ; ) I'm still wrapping my head around a lot of this as well. I understand what I've got to do to make it look good, but sometimes the lingo escapes me as well!

For most of what I'm doing with my footage, I always render it out as progressive (yes, stripping the progressive from the interlaced frames, or creating a progressive clip by interpolating (or blending) the interlaced frames).

But yes, it should just be a matter of tweaking your settings for when you setup to export the video to your final format. I don't use Premier, but I'd assume that there are some comprable settings for blending the frames as Vegas has..

--Steve
Steve Szudzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5th, 2007, 05:23 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Chris:

I am no tech whiz here either, but the way I understand the process is that when you shoot in 24p, your footage is still wrapped in 60i. If you do not have the programs to actually "pull down" the 24p material, then you should keep everything in 60i. You will still get a decent image with 24p characteristics and feel, but it won't be a true 24p final file. There has been some gnashing at Canon for this, and an attempt in another thread to get them to add necessary flags.

There is one thread here that give a method of work around to turn the your footage to true 24p.... that is the done through several open source programs available. It was all to complicated for me, and I just purchased Cineform's NeoHDV which captures, deinterlaces and does pull down to a Cineform 24p intermediate editing file that works fine in Vegas7. From there, you output to whatever format you want.
Old July 5th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for the help, guys!

I was able to figure out what my problem was. My project settings in PrEl3 were not correct. When I opened up PrEl3 on the startup/splash screen I should have clicked "Setup" and then chosen DV NTSC - Widescreen from the Project Presets list. For some reason my settings were for 1080i Widescreen. Hence the horizontal lines and such.

Once I started a new project with this setup, and re-captured the video from my camera... it looked fantastic (to my layman eyes).

I'm off to the races now!

peace|dewde
http://dewde.com
Chris Ames is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders