DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   HV20 DV Output to DVD Recorder - ONLY DV (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-vixia-series-avchd-hdv-camcorders/99273-hv20-dv-output-dvd-recorder-only-dv.html)

Nathan Shane July 19th, 2007 06:51 AM

HV20 DV Output to DVD Recorder - ONLY DV

Okay, I bought a Panasoninc DMR-EZ27 DVD Recorder so I could start recording HDTV signals from cable. So in the process of checking the unit out and making sure all the inputs can receive and record incoming signals, I decided to connect the HV20's DV (firewire) to the unit's DV and there was no picture...even though the recorder correctly identified the camera as an HV20.

So I thought there must be a setting on the HV20 that's set wrongly - and there was. Once I changed the camera to DV I was able to see the live incoming picture signal or if I changed the camera's playback signal for tape to DV LOCKED the DVD recorder could see the incoming signal.

So...it this the expected behavior of the HV20? To only output DV and not HDV to a DVD recorder? I was hoping to be able to just connect the HV20 via "firewire" and record the HDV widescreen video to DVD, but that doesn't look to be the case. Am I missing something here?

John Millar July 19th, 2007 08:26 AM

hi
dont think it is the behaviour of the hv 20 i think it is that dvd will not record
hdtv(unless maybe blue-ray if there are any recorders out yet )as it will only
copy from dv from camera as mpeg-2 for dvd so unless you have a recorder
that captures in hd hdv then the only way is normal dv to dvd until you get
one of the hd recorders for the purpose of hd.

Hal Snook July 19th, 2007 10:14 AM

Nathan, I looked up your DVD recorder; like John said, it only records in Standard Def (even though it is capable of accepting ad HD tuner signal, it downconverts it to SD). So there would be no advantage of piping it the HD rather than the SD signal.

I believe there are DVD recorders that will record an HD-DVD file onto a normal DVD disc, but standard DVDs are always standard-def (480p).

Chris Hurd July 19th, 2007 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Shane (Post 714152)
...is this the expected behavior of the HV20? To only output DV and not HDV to a DVD recorder?

It's the expected behavior of your DVD recorder, not the HV20. As has been pointed out, the Panasonic DMR-EZ27 DVD Recorder is a standard-definition video recorder (and not an HD recorder).

Nathan Shane July 19th, 2007 12:49 PM

Okay...got it. The more I start thinking about some of this HD stuff since I'm starting to just now step into it - the more confusing it can be trying to keep it in mind that SD and HD are completely two separate beasts altogether...but still implementing the same connections. Well, except for HDMI - that connection is easy to keep in mind as being part of HD. LOL!!!

David Chien July 19th, 2007 05:12 PM

No HD recorder on the market!

1) no HD recorder on the market yet that'll take output from these latest HD camcorders and dump them to DVD. Sorry, just doesn't exist!

2) All DV input to any DVD recorder deck on the planet will only do SD resolution. No HD DV input on any deck yet.

3) What you need to do:
a) use a pc. dump HDV to PC, convert to HD DVD/BluRay format, burn and play on HD DVD or BluRay players.
b) use a pc. dump HDV to PC, encode to Divx HD, burn to any CD/DVD and play on any Divx HD compatible player (see divx.com for more).

The latter is the cheaper solution for HD output and playback by far.

---

What I do now. I edit and burn a DVD version of the video. Then save the raw video+project files to Divx HD onto a DVD for later. Figure I can re-render later to HD output when the HD DVD/BluRay burners+players+media drop well under the $$$$ $500+ they're at now.

simply no cheap or good long term optical format for HD video yet -- even the major shops have no idea if HD DVD, BluRay, Divx HD, or some other format will stick around long enough to become a standard.

I sure as heck would avoid buying any optical HD storage device for now -- to o expensive and unknown as to whether they'll even be around a few years from now. That market is simply too new to say.

Colin Gould July 19th, 2007 09:31 PM

Is the original poster asking about recording an HD signal on a DVD? as noted, that won't work at all, not for a while yet :)

But, it is certainly possible to record an SD DVD video to the DVD recorder via firewire, from HDV Cameras. It should have VERY good (but still SD res) video quality.
Just set the HV20 firewire output to "DV Locked" mode, so it downconverts in-camera to DV (16:9 widescreen from HDV), and the DVD recorder should accept the signal just fine (as will PC capture programs.)
The in-camera downconvert quality won't be as good as PC-captured/edited HDV converted to SD MPEG in your PC video editor, but the HDV editing would be a lot more time/hassle.

Good that your recorder has a firewire input, since the HV10/20 only have composite RCA analog video out, no SVideo out, so going analog route to any device is not a great picture.

Peter J Alessandria July 20th, 2007 11:12 PM

I have a Memorex stand alone DVD recorder and the HV20 works great using the DV-input (Firewire). As Colin said, just use DV-locked on the camera. I get really nice SD DVD's with it.