More HV10 fireworks footage from July 4th? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

More HV10 fireworks footage from July 4th?

Hello all.
I recently posted some video of the fireworks at the norwegian independence day May 17th.
Now after July 4th, has anyone else shot and made available more HDV fireworks shot with the HV10?
I'd like to see it and compare notes :)
Rune Austefjord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I recorded some decent ones here, I haven't edited/posted them yet though :)
Wanted to thank your shots for helping inspire my recording/remind me to use fireworks mode!

The quality came out very well, colors etc stayed fairly true & visible;
focus seemed consistent, although maybe a bit fuzzy- hard to tell if I had done manual focus (eg on a parallel building), if it would have been sharper; it didn't look fuzzy per se, just the bright dots/bits seemed a bit larger/less sharp (but it did make them more visible.)
I stayed mostly on fireworks mode, I switched to Tv a couple times down to slower shutter speeds to show people around watching as well as better view of the reflections on water/nearby buildings. The fireworks mode worked better as it was consistent picture quality, had no vertical bands from low light gain (sky was just dark)..

Overall, I thought it compared pretty darn well to the super expensive commercial video done on HDTV for the Boston Pops... those had better low light of course, but for a $700-1000 camera on a cheap tripod, some parts were pretty darn close to pro!
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 02:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

It is an excellent camera, we should not be too surprised it delivers excellent results :)
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Here's a clip shot with a HV10 in Strasbourg on July 14th, French Bastille's day: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SA1YTRBO. The wmv video file is 98 MB.
Bert Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Nice clip, the French Anthem is very festive.
What settings did you use on the camera?
Did you deinterlace the clip for computer playback?
I see you used more than 10mbit bitrate on the clip, very nice.
Old July 21st, 2007, 10:25 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Rune - I used the 'Fireworks' setting for this clip (thanks to the tips you gave me in your earlier post!). I also played with the 'Night' setting which does bring out more details in the background, but it gives the fireworks an odd slow motion effect which I didn't like. I'm pleasantly surprised with the results I'm getting with this camera. No, I did not force deinterlacing for this video, but I'll give it a try to see if it makes a difference. Thanks again for your comments!
Bert Na is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:48 PM   #7
Major Player

I don't have an HV10, but I have an HV20, and I shot some fireworks. I shot it in 24p, but maybe you'll want to see them anyway.

24p, cine mode, handheld, 480x360, not sure what the bitrate was, enjoy...
http://chrisjharris.com/Site/Video%2...es/july4th.mov
Chris Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Pretty good, excellent compression, but with such a low frame size that was to be expected I guess.
I would have tried to avoid having cables in the view when shooting fireworks in the sky.
Tell me, is MOV a very standard file format used on Mac?
I have a large 25 minute clip I wanna share with a friend with a Mac, and don't know if she'll be able to play a WMV file on her computer.
Old July 22nd, 2007, 02:22 PM   #9
Major Player

Thanks for the comment!
Yeah, the cables got in the way, the fireworks in the sky were actually unexpected, so I wasn't in a good spot to shoot them.
Quicktime .MOV files play on all Macs out of the box. WMV files need a free codec download to get them to play.
Chris Harris is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders