Wearable Computer System for HD Capture - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old September 7th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #106
New Boot

AOpen i945GMt-FA

anmoi, this aopen might interest you. Sata and raid0. http://usa.aopen.com/products_detail.aspx?Auno=2211
Elliott Tucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 12:23 AM   #107
Major Player

Aopen i945GMt-FA

Thanks. I did look at it, as a few people mentioned it on this thread. However, it takes a 19V battery with consumption of about 90Watts. I'm trying to find a more power-efficient solution.
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #108
Regular Crew

hi all

great great post i just looking all over to built system like this

i have one big problem i know s!@@$t about computers components

if you pleas pleas sand me a list of all the parts needed to built a system like this

were do i buy small housing like Kevin has for the motherboard

what else do i need (CPU ram graphic card???)
is the hard disk is external what hard disk i need sata? raid?

as you see i am lost pleas help

thanks
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:04 PM   #109
Regular Crew

portable solution

I would like to ask David CTO if Cineform is developing a portable solution to sell bundled with the Neo. thanks
Adriano Apefos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 08:56 PM   #110
Major Player

A message from a friend of mine :-

>>>>
But I have found out something quiet interesting. The Asus EeePC $200 900mhz Linux subnotebook, has an mini PCI-e card slot.

http://unicap-imaging.org/unicap_eeepc.htm

My desire is more for 720p capture, which this would more suit. An hard disk would need to be put in an thin case under the unit with an Intensity and extra power supply (for the card). There is an new version next April, on an better chip-set (hopefully better processor for compression).

I think the EeePC, which incidentally has it's own webcam, might be suitable with an USB video capture dongle (those capture from tape to record to disk things).

>>>>
Anmol Mishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM   #111
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriano Apefos View Post
I would like to ask David CTO if Cineform is developing a portable solution to sell bundled with the Neo. thanks
CineForm believes there is a market here and we intended to pursue it.

Last edited by David Newman; September 16th, 2007 at 09:02 AM.
David Newman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2007, 02:25 AM   #112
Regular Crew

the dream!

i think what everybody is dreaming about (like that cigarrete size talked here) is, at least:

if it is a computer:
1 - everything in one box
2 - no cables outside, just the hdmi
3 - one or two swapable 2.5 inch drive inside the box
4 - the touch screen lcd fited in the box with on off button to save battery
5 - a start stop with led indicator in a wire to put near camcorder
6 - swapable batteries inside the box

the better would be:
7 - no operating system if possible, or a simple menu with navigation
8 - like the firestore, of course, but a little bigger if needed...

Letīs give time to the time, and things happens...
Old September 16th, 2007, 04:18 AM   #113
Major Player

You see, when you put together a 'dream' spec like that, you're essentially asking for one of these only a lot smaller and with potentially even more engineering required (no OS for instance).

That being the case you will inevitably end up with a product that costs more than the Wafian, despite the price difference between Intensity and Xena HLE.
Old September 16th, 2007, 05:18 AM   #114
Regular Crew

things are going fast...

nice machine! note wearable, but nice! but just for who have the money! for the low budget i think a solution like this wearable with a better enclosure will be ok when the itx motherboard starts to hold a 3.0 ghz core 2 duo processor keeping the dc power... or the wafian could start thinking about the low budget hv20 owners like the canon did when developed it... the time, and forum members, brings the answer...

thanks
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:01 PM   #115
Regular Crew

Something to watch: VIA EPIA SN-Series Mini-ITX Mainboards

It's supposed to have a PCI-Express x16 slot and four SATA II channels with native RAID support. Could be great for a simple mobile-capture box.
Old September 18th, 2007, 01:15 PM   #116
Major Player

If you're looking to capture uncompressed, perhaps that board will work. However, it has an exceptionally weak CPU so any meaningful compression will not work.

I think I would rather have a Core 2 CPU and CineForm support and just the one SATA hard disk...
Old October 2nd, 2007, 05:50 PM   #117
Regular Crew

I've been following this thread for quite some time... with intentions of building a wearable computer system.

There's been a lot of talk about other codecs besides Cineform - BM MJPEG etc... why? Is there any benefit? Cineform seems (correct me if i'm wrong) to have the best cpu efficiency/quality ratio and has a decent data rate.

I have two questions:
1 - What IS the data rate capturing 1920x1080 8 bit Cineform? I know there are multiple "qualities"... is there a reference to a table somewhere with the different settings and data rates associated?
2 - Hard disks aside - Has it been confirmed yet if something like a Core 2 Duo T7600 (2.33) would be sufficient for a system like this?

Thanks for any info - great thread, Kevin.

Also, keep in mind realtime pulldown is not a requirement...

Dale
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:31 PM   #118
Regular Crew

What about something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819111316
Dale Backus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2nd, 2007, 06:47 PM   #119
CTO, CineForm Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Backus View Post
There's been a lot of talk about other codecs besides Cineform - BM MJPEG etc... why? Is there any benefit? Cineform seems (correct me if i'm wrong) to have the best cpu efficiency/quality ratio and has a decent data rate.

I have two questions:
1 - What IS the data rate capturing 1920x1080 8 bit Cineform? I know there are multiple "qualities"... is there a reference to a table somewhere with the different settings and data rates associated?
2 - Hard disks aside - Has it been confirmed yet if something like a Core 2 Duo T7600 (2.33) would be sufficient for a system like this?

Also, keep in mind realtime pulldown is not a requirement...

Dale
1) CineForm is internally 10 or 12-bit, even with 8-bit HDMI source, this is to reduce banding and improve the quality over regular 8-bit compressors. The data rate will also depend on the source, a soft low-noise source produces a much smaller bit-rate than an ultra sharp image with noise. Typically for today HDMI prosumer cameras, quality of High ranges from 10-16MB/s and Filmscan-1 15-20MB/s -- these are the recommend capture modes. Both modes will capture to modern 2.5" hard drives, or fast flash.

2) A T7600 2.33Ghz is on the edge for 1920x1080 at 60i, no issues for 50i and 24p/25p. T7700 should be fine.

3) Pulldown extraction makes the compression a little easier not harder.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 09:11 PM   #120
Regular Crew

Good deal - thanks a lot for responding.

Interesting that the pulldown makes it easier on the processor - guess that makes it doubly positive. (BTW, i did some test pulldowns with the HV20 and the trial of Prospect HD i believe, and it was doubling frames to make it progressive - is this normal?)

Seems to me then that a wearable computer system - Mini-ITX T76-7700, a couple gig of fast ram and a fast SSD drive and BM card would suffice for capture with the HV20 via HDMI @ 1920...

That is unless, someone (ahem... Cineform) with the knowledge and resources to do so could cut out all the unnecessary crap and create a box dedicated to the capture of HDMI sources using the Cineform codec. All streamlined and specialized... oooh bebe.

I know Colorspace(?) is creating something similar, but in the 10k range...

Anywho, great info - thanks a lot David.

Dale
Dale Backus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders