HV10 - Firewire / DV Output at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders
For VIXIA / LEGRIA Series (HF G, HF S, HF and HV) consumer camcorders.

Old July 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM   #1
Tourist

HV10 - Firewire / DV Output

Hi all,

A bit of a basic question here, but does the HV10 register as a video object in Windows via Firewire in the same way as older generation DVCams? My reason for asking is I have to purchase a device for my employer which will serve several purposes.

1) Be accessible as a web-cam like device to broadcast company meetings ( my idea here is to hook onto the DV feed using a 3rd party application, like with older DV cameras ).

2) Be available for use at offsite events for recording etc.

3) Now as long as the HV10 does perform like older DV cams in Windows, does anyone know if it will continue to feed the firewire / DV feed while recording as well? I'd like that as a feature personally in order to archive meetings at a higher resoultion while still broadcasting the live feed.

I've gone through the manuals and I believe 1) to be possible, but is 3) ?

Thanks,

Liam McGintny
Liam McGintny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 10:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

This should work by setting the HV10 firewire output to "DV Locked", which should then appear to the OS to act just like a regular DV camera, even for HDV-recorded tape (it downconverts to 16:9 SD DV in-camera.)

I've successfully captured to Ulead MSPro this way, and DV functions work (timestamp for scene detection, "scan dv tape", etc- although scene splits seemed to be 1-2 frames off sometimes).

I would assume other DV functions should work the same. I don't have any DV webcam software to test, sorry.

re #3, interestingly, appears the "DV Locked" feature only works for playback mode. During camera record mode, it's HDV format only (although if you switch the camera HD format to DV, it's probably OK.)
I started up VLC player and used its capture device (for preview), and it indeed showed the HDV picture capture during pause and actual tape recording. I also successfully captured into Ulead MSPro8 "live" this way.
If you need to capture DV format, you may have to switch the tape recording format to DV as well.
Colin Gould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2007, 07:30 AM   #3
Tourist

Thanks -- I appreciate the input; this should be workable for me as HD is not a requirement for the broadcast archives, but will be of use for offsite events.
Liam McGintny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:34 PM   #4
Regular Crew

high deffinition web camera

I've been thinking of getting this camera too for high deffinition web usage, any chance you could update us on your useage of it? Personally I want to use it with www.snapstrip.com to get high resolution stills, any chance you could test it out for me?

Peace, Rolland

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders > Canon VIXIA Series AVCHD and HDV Camcorders