Canon Introduces the Compact XA10 Professional Camcorder - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old January 5th, 2011, 10:23 AM   #16
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Katz View Post
i know that canon's xf codec was a version of sony's codec "borrowed" from the ex1/ex3 series of cameras.
Well, actually no, Canon XF is not the same thing as Sony XDCAM although both codecs plus Panasonic P2 are all based on the .MXF file format.

Quote:
is the avchd codec that canon is employing w/the xa10, a new canon product or a tried & true flavor "borrowed" from another camera maker?
Neither. Canon has been producing AVCHD camcorders for years. Just like Sony and Panasonic, Canon is one of the original founders of the AVCHD format consortium.

Quote:
moving from 50mbps to 24mbps can be a headache depending on the use of the footage.
Or a boon, for those folks whose NLE systems can't handle 50mbps playback or real-time editing.

Quote:
moving from compact flash to sdhc feels like a wash to me. agree/disagree?
Since it's AVCHD, it must record to SDHC or SDXC. There's no such thing as an AVCHD camcorder that records to Compact Flash.

Here's the deal:

If you want Compact Flash and a 50mbps format, stick with Canon XF.
If you prefer SDHC and the AVCHD format, then the XA10 is an option.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 10:41 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
pro. features aside I wonder which one has better overall performance, as soon as they both available I'll do side by side XF100 and XA10, I'm guessing they'll be close
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:00 PM   #18
Major Player

I fly out to Vegas for CES tomorrow so I'll try to get pics and video of the new cams when I get there.
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:03 PM   #19
Inner Circle

The XA10 has a touch screen LCD - unlike the XF100. If you look at the (albeit flash driven demos) on the Canon USA website of how this screen can be used (e.g. for 'Touch and Track' focus and exposure, also for selecting clips to review/playback) it certainly looks impressive and highly useful that it is a touch screen.

Note that you need to look at some of the "lesser" new VIXIA models to see these demos - as they are not in the detailed 'Features' and 'Specification' pages of the XA10 section of the Canon website (but these features are mentioned - so it has them!)
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:04 PM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Well, actually no, Canon XF is not the same thing as Sony XDCAM although both codecs plus Panasonic P2 are all based on the .MXF file format.
I believe they all use .MXF as the wrapper & MPEG-2 is the codec.

But the JVC HM100 & HM700 shoot in XDCam (MPEG-2 codec) in either a .MXF wrapper or a .MOV wrapper (built for FCP).

Codec vs. wrapper two very different & sometimes confusing things.

Quote:
Since it's AVCHD, it must record to SDHC or SDXC. There's no such thing as an AVCHD camcorder that records to Compact Flash.
Just to expand some more... There is nothing stopping AVCHD from being recorded onto Compact Flash, just there are no cameras out there that do.

The only limits of recording a specific codec (XDCam, DVCPro HD, AVCHD, etc. etc.) to a specific medium (SDHC, CF, P2, SxS, etc. etc.) is the models of cameras the manufactures choose to produce & an acceptable read/write speed of the medium that matches the necessary bandwith of a codec.

Quote:
One is Diet Coke, the other is Coke Zero.

Or, the best camera out there, is the best camera for you, which is often different than the best camera for the next guy, which is different than the best camera for me.

I'm impressed with, imho, the good selection of cameras Canon has released in the last year, yet none of them are as much as an improvement over what I have / need for me to be willing to go purchase something new.

Last edited by Zach Love; January 5th, 2011 at 03:48 PM. Reason: more info
Zach Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 12:22 PM   #21
Major Player

The more I look at the new HF G10, the more I see its potential as a fairly significant upgrade compared to their former top of the line HF S21.

A 2MP sensor optimized for video as opposed to an 8MP for both video and stills. Having both a focus ring in addition to the custom dial (both rings customizable). A waveform monitor!!! 16 variable zoom speeds (just like my XLH1S). Manual white balance adjustment via a Kelvin dial in 100k increments... finally!!! (just like my XLH1S).

Looks like a great small camera to use!

Canon says of the new sensor:

- Video resolution of 900 horizontal and 800 vertical TV lines, for Full HD video with professional precision
- A 25 percent improvement in low-light sensitivity with a minimum illumination rating of 1.5 Lux, Canon's lowest Lux rating to date in a consumer HD camcorder
- A 280 percent improvement in dynamic range for exceptional reproduction of both highlights and shadows
Michael Galvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #22
Major Player

NAB could be a very interesting place to be in April if the technology leaps continued into the pro stuff.
Don Parrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:28 PM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
The more I look at the new HF G10, the more I see its potential as a fairly significant upgrade compared to their former top of the line HF S21.
I completely agree with that Michael. I recently bought a Panasonic SD-700, and the image you get from it is astounding. I also have a XL-H1 (first model), and while its ergonomics can't be beat, the latest batch of consumer camcorders is taking turns around it if you look at image quality (resolution), framerates (1080p50), low-light performance and touch-screen ergonomics and lcd resolution.

What a difference 5 years make!

For this reason, I am now trying to find a way to shoot great stuff with these small camcorders instead of buying a $10,000 camcorder like I did a while back. Combined with the VDSLR developments, I think you can create awesome stuff with a combination of camcorder + VDSLR and some proper lenses. The ergonomics are where the challenges are with this type of gear. But also the opportunities, as I can get into places with a small camcorder my XL-H1 can't get to. And you can carry them always, everywhere.

Wonderful times indeed!

Here is the link on Canon's website:
http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consum...f_g10#Overview

Seriously impressed by all its features, I hope they don't limit the manual controls too much. I work at Canon (office printer division), so I can get it at discount rate... which usually means 20-30% off the MSRP. But I am not fixed at Canon, I also like Panasonic gear a lot so I am eager to find out what they will show later today).
Floris van Eck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 01:59 PM   #24
Major Player

i wonder if the newly released canon xa10 could be set-up with a nanoflash?

if so, i also wonder if the nanoflash footage would still be limited to 24mbps?

the xa10 does have a mini hdmi out.

be well

rob
Rob Katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:11 PM   #25
Major Player

It is good to see that after years of Megapixels races on these camcorders we are finally getting back to what really matters, image quality (for video). I doubt many people shoot stills on a camcorder, I always considered it a gimmick. Also, most people view their stills on a computer or monitor nowadays, for which 1080p extracts will do perfectly fine. It also looks like camcorder manufacturers, after the VDSLR surge, need to add extra attention, features and resources to their camcorder line-ups, to keep them alive. Canon's is normally the most conservative of the bunch (and late to the party), so I am looking forward to the other player's camcorder offerings at CES 2011. I hope they also unveil their EVIL system, but I don't expect that to happen at this year's CES.
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:29 PM   #26
Major Player

24mbps AVCHD and 4:2:0... so basically an XH A1 with a bit better low light, full 1920x1080 res and single CMOS vs 3CCD...

Ill stick with the XH A1 for now. shame canon did not develop an MXF codec CCD camera.
Panagiotis Raris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2011, 02:54 PM   #27
Major Player

CCD technology is dead in the consumer market. All new camera's... DSLR, camcorder, mobile phone... everything is CMOS. So I don't see any company launching CCD based camera gear in the consumer/prosumer/professional market (only the high-end maybe).
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
More photos to be found in the press release linked above.
Hey Chris, I can't find any pictures in that press release link.
Old January 5th, 2011, 03:43 PM   #29
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floris van Eck View Post
CCD technology is dead in the consumer market. All new camera's... DSLR, camcorder, mobile phone... everything is CMOS. So I don't see any company launching CCD based camera gear in the consumer/prosumer/professional market (only the high-end maybe).
Exactly. (I was going to go into it a little more, but don't think this is the place for a CCD vs CMOS debate.)

Good (Picture Quality); CCD; Cheap... Pick two

CMOS is deadly to people who shoot Blair Witch handheld films in night clubs with strobe lights. But I believe for the rest of us CMOS has been a helpful way to keep prices low, while increasing picture quality.
Old January 5th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #30
Major Player

Question

Does anyone know if this will have the assignable ring (aperture, zoom, focus) like the XF100? ALso will me varizoom lanc I use with my xh-a1 work with this as well?

Thanks!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders