Canon xa10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old April 1st, 2011, 03:41 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon xa10

Got my XA10 yesterday been playing around with it so far i love it. will have some videos soon ill post links up here when i do
Blake Tijerina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Canon xa10

Congratulatons! I am anxious to hear how this camera performs in low light situations from both a picture standpoint and from an autofoucs one. Any report you can give will be appreciated!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:45 PM   #3
Trustee

Blake, I'd love to see some daylight type shots with it. I'm expecting mine on Tuesday, and I'm less concerned about the low light (given the rave reviews I've seen) than I am about the good light videos relative to a camcorder like the Panasonic 900 (which I have). I just don't want to sacrifice too much picture quality in good light for the superior low light of the XA10. It just depends on how much better the 900 is in good light (if at all).
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 2nd, 2011, 09:23 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Okay the low light was amazing! I will get some video up tomorrow of the night shots. (I used MF the whole time.) i will get auto here soon. it was super cloudy today in Ohio so I hope to get some daylight tomorrow maybe have those up as well.
Old April 3rd, 2011, 02:41 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Do you have anything else to compare it with?
It would be nice to see a side by side comparison with a DSLR (with a lens equaly fast though)
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Kinda I used a t2i 50mm lens 1/30 iso 400 at a f2.8 well the XA10 i tried to get the zoom right pretty sure i failed it was at a 6db f2.8 and a 1/24. i was shooting in 24p with the XA10. I'm not to sure on the iso to db so yeah. and the T2i was manual whit balance i use Magic Lantern and the XA10 was auto if you guys want to see the video let me know
Old April 3rd, 2011, 06:35 PM   #7
Trustee

Blake, I'd love to see a TMV700-XA10 comparison.
Ken Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2011, 09:20 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Okay here is some raw footage it is exported to h.264 with adobe.
YouTube - XA10 Raw test
Feel free to watch my other videos as well (wedding reel, NF Photo shoot) and let me know what you think.
The rest of the videos i did not do. All but the fighting ones were from film camps i help put on every year.
I will be putting up the XA10 T2i next now that is rough just to warn you
Old April 4th, 2011, 02:38 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks Blake,

The best way to do a low light comparison with the T2i is to place the two cameras next to eachother, zoom in with the XA10 to obtain the same field of view as with the T2i and the 50mm lens, set on the XA10 the widest possible aperture, 1/24 or 1/30 shutter speed, and put the same aperture and the slowest available shutter speed on the T2i (1/30). Adjust gain and ISO to get a good exposure (make sure you get the same exposure on both) and shoot.
Repeat the test for daylight shooting using shutter speed of 1/50th but this time you can also try to match the DOF. In that case you will need to set the XA10 at the widest aperture and the T2i at an aperture that gives you a similar DOF.
Spiros Zaharakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks for the info I will be doing a DOF test tonight so that helps a lot I will upload when done
Old April 4th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Okay here is more videos From the XA10 DOF testing i was doing tonight. specs are listed in the video and on the youtube page.

YouTube - DOF Test

YouTube - XA10 DOF
Old April 6th, 2011, 05:50 PM   #12
Go Cycle

WOW!! I am impressed. Used the Xa10 today for the first time. Lowlight is better than my HF s10 and 11. Of course my XF-300 is in a different arena but the cameras sure match well. Just have to lower the XF-300 sharpness to -10.

Outdoors was incredible. It was written in another forum that the 1/3 inch chip is not as sharp as the prior 1/2.5 chip due to pixel size. However, I can't really see a BIG difference if any at all.

HINT: Use the VIVID setting outdoors. The ND filter is on automatic.
Old April 6th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Agree 100% I was blown away with the Canon XA10. I did not like the auto ND filters but that so far is my only complaint. so thanks for the vivid suggestion. I have not had the opportunity to use the XF300 but I'm saving so that will be my next buy
Old April 6th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #14
Major Player

Thanks guys for the real world hands on reports and footage. I currently shoowt weddings with 2 Sony V1U's and a little Canon HV20 as the B roll backup cam (locked down wide shot). That little Canon has save our butt many times as the shot to cut to in editing. With a little color correction it matches the Sony's and looks pretty darn good. I would imagine the XA10 would be a significant step up from the HV20 so it is on my short list for a new camera.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2011, 10:07 PM   #15
Major Player

Blake and Ken, where did you purchase the Canon XA10? I would like to purchase this camera!

Thanks!

Troy
Troy Moss is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders