XA10 vs GH2 in low light conditions at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old May 19th, 2011, 08:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XA10 vs GH2 in low light conditions

I read somewhere that initial impressions from some users are that the performance of the XA10 is about equal to the performance of the Panasonic GH2 in low light conditions. Does anybody here have personal experience comparing them?

I thought this time lapse video looked pretty good: YouTube - ‪Canon XA10 Test - Boston - Afternoon to Night Timelapse Low Light‬‏ There are some artifacts, but those could also be coming from the transcoding YouTube does. It seems YouTube transcoding results in some blocking.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 02:18 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: XA10 vs GH2 in low light conditions

No experience comparing but here's one comparing the XA10 & Canon T2i
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks Michael, there is some blocking in both shots but I'm thinking that might be the transcoding YouTube does. YouTube seems to introduce blocking during its transcodes.

To me the first 2 scenes look better in some ways in the T2i, but the last scene looks better with the XA10.

Would XA10 users say that it has excellent low light recording capabilities, even if you haven't compared it with the GH2? I've heard the GH2 has very good low light video recording.
David Horwitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I owned the xa10 and it was the best camera that I have owned for low light so far. I never had a g2 but other people that have both cameras in avsforum have said the g2 is way better. Thanks
Gerald OConnor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders