XLR Mic for Canon XA10 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 24th, 2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: XLR Mic for Canon XA10

Doesn't the Videomic have a 3.5MM stereo plug that woudl work in the XA10 mic jack - no need for an XLR adapter?
Old September 24th, 2011, 10:16 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Absolutely it does. However, for wedding ceremonies I will use the Rode mini to XLR plug adapter so that I can run my wireless also. For all other work, like the reception, I'll simply remove adapter and just go with mini plug. That way I won't have to change the settings on the XLR switches, which could lead to problems for me, as I have a bad memory.
Old September 25th, 2011, 10:00 AM   #18
Wrangler

Sounds like a reasonable plan.
Old September 27th, 2011, 12:34 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I was looking at the specs of the mic, compared to to some others, and noticed the Rode Videomic has what appears to be excellent specs, better than many of these shotguns.
Which model Rode Mic were you referring to?
Old September 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #20
Inner Circle

The Rode Videomic. "Videomic" is a model.
Old September 28th, 2011, 02:12 PM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Jeff,
For your xa-10 setup, are you using the rode videomic or the rode videomic pro? How'd you find the quality?

To all,
I tried using the rode videomic pro via both the 35mm and via xlr adapter, the result:

Via the 35mm: I am getting a lot of hissing/background noise when using the "Automatic" mic level. When I use the "manual" level, the hissing noise is gone but I have to adjust it everytime I am at a different place.

Via the xlr adaptor: the volume is very low even when I crank it up to "Max". When I turn on the ATT, the volume is at good range but a lot of hissing noise.

Via wireless lav mic (to xlr): sounds perfect

I thought I would post this here to find out how you guys setup your audio with your xa-10 and how to get the best volumn.

Any help appreciated.
Aaron Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:45 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Aaron, I haven't played it back yet. But I have used the Videomic on many cameras, it's as close to perfect as anything I've ever used, but I have very limited experience with other mics.

I am using the Videomic on the XA10. The Videomic pro I also have, and they are very close to the same, at least for me. I use the Videomic Pro on my other cameras. I believe there specs are nearly the same. I'm not sure what the ATT setting is for, I need to read my manual. It is a common feature, and I should know what it does, but I don't.
Old September 28th, 2011, 10:03 PM   #23
Inner Circle

Aaron, I'm no sound guy, but here's what I know, hope it can help. I just researched ATT.

ATT basically drops your signal 20db on the Canon. Use only when you are in conditions so loud you cannot drop the volume enough with the dials, generally in situations with the line in, but you can choose to use it anytime when your source, like a band, or dj, is too loud.

On the hissing during auto gain, the hissing is because the auto feature is turning up the gain because you are in a quite environment. If you record someone speaking, the hiss will go away, but as soon as they stop, it will return if there is no other noise to pick up. It's a downside to auto gain.

For quite enviornments, you are better off with manual control, which will eliminate hissing. 5 setting should be good most of the time if using XLR.

There is a setting on some newer Rode Videmics, and it's hidden inside the battery compartment. It is very tiny affair, and you change the settings using something very tiny. I changed my settings years ago on my Rode to an optimal setting recommended by someone, and it's perfect. Google it and you can find it. I tried to see what my setting were but I can't make them out, my eyes are just too poor.
Old September 29th, 2011, 04:15 PM   #24
Wrangler

Actually, you are usually better off using the ATT setting when you have very high output mics. If you just rely on turning down the the level control when you have a high input you maybe saturation the input preamps.

Hiss can be from the noise floor of the preamps in a camcorder, or from the noise floor of the mic in the case of condensor mics. Sometime you can sort out the level from the specifications, but not always.

One needs to spend some time with the gear at hand to determine which setting work best in a given application.

FWIW: The Videomic and Videomic Pro have similar electrical specifications, so they should sound very similar.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders