DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   external audio for xa10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/499200-external-audio-xa10.html)

Aaron Leung August 4th, 2011 07:37 AM

external audio for xa10

I got the xa10 in addition to my canon 60D for video. For the price, I really like everything about the xa10. I am not very good with audio so I want to see if I can get some help/suggestion from those with more experience.

Here is my problem: I am using the Rode video mic pro(it uses the 3.5mm connection, not xlr connection) as external mic for the xa10. I notice when I use it as the external mic, I hear a lot of "buzzing" noise (I am sure there is a better term for "buzzing"...but lots of background noise). This mic works well with the 60d with no "buzz/background" noise.

XA10's audio setting:
Audio Mix: OFF
Mic terminal Input: LINE (when set to "MICROPHONE", the "buzz/background" noise is very noticeable)
Microphone Attenuator: ON (when it is to "Automatic", the noise is very noticeable. I am not sure what this function is for)

My question:
-What can I do to minimize the noise?
-Would it make sense to get a 3.5mm/xlr conversion cable and plug the mic into the xlr port?

Any help appreciated....

Robert Young August 4th, 2011 05:41 PM

Re: external audio for xa10

Not sure exactly what the problem is, but clearly the VideoMic Pro circuitry is not playing well with the XA 10's 3.5mm audio section. I think this sort of thing does happen more often with non-balanced inputs.
It would certainly be cost effective to try the 3.5mm/ XLR cable and use the XLR input. That could well solve the problem.
Otherwise, you may need to use a phantom power/XLR mic (like the Rode NTG-1) to get the best audio.

Colin Rowe September 3rd, 2011 05:25 AM

Re: external audio for xa10

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aaron Leung (Post 1672462)
I got the xa10 in addition to my canon 60D for video. For the price, I really like everything about the xa10. I am not very good with audio so I want to see if I can get some help/suggestion from those with more experience.

Here is my problem: I am using the Rode video mic pro(it uses the 3.5mm connection, not xlr connection) as external mic for the xa10. I notice when I use it as the external mic, I hear a lot of "buzzing" noise (I am sure there is a better term for "buzzing"...but lots of background noise). This mic works well with the 60d with no "buzz/background" noise.

XA10's audio setting:
Audio Mix: OFF
Mic terminal Input: LINE (when set to "MICROPHONE", the "buzz/background" noise is very noticeable)
Microphone Attenuator: ON (when it is to "Automatic", the noise is very noticeable. I am not sure what this function is for)

My question:
-What can I do to minimize the noise?
-Would it make sense to get a 3.5mm/xlr conversion cable and plug the mic into the xlr port?

Any help appreciated....

Use an XLR mic.
Set your audio completely in manual
Mic input to Mic
It may well be the mic you are using, what level have you set it to? Try a 3.5 to XLR adaptor, very cheap, it may help.
Battery or phantom power should not make a lot of difference