Need Some Rental Advice at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 9th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #1
New Boot

Need Some Rental Advice

Hi everyone. I'm new to this forum and videography in general. Just picked up a new HF-G10. :)

I'm very shortly going to be filming my first "somewhat pro" gig...a set of interviews/testimonials for my TKD club, to be loaded to their website. The interviews are going to happen in one of the spare dojangs (workout areas) at the club. So, think ugly industrial lighting, high ceilings, bad sound, lots and lots of background noise (classes going on at the same time in other rooms). The subjects will be individuals or families of 2-4 people, including some young children.

I took my camera to the club the other day and tried out a few test runs with various adjustments to my camera's built-in mics. As you can imagine, the sound was less than optimal. Lots of echo and "tinny" sound, and nothing I did would tone down the sound of kids shouting in the next room. So I'm contemplating a rental of some audio - and possibly lighting - equipment...but I have no idea what the best choices would be.

For sound...would you use a lav in this case? I'll have to continually remove it and attach it to each person who comes in. Would it work to pick up 3 or 4 other people in the immediate area, but limit the amount of back-ground noise it will pick up from the rest of the club? Or would a shotgun mic mounted on a tripod work better?

I'm not sure if I need lighting, but I'm going to guess it would help more than it would hurt. Right now, everything looks "industrial". I'd like to warm the place up a little for these interviews.

Here's the place I'll be renting from. Rentals Headshots rentals pro photography and video

I know nothing about any of these items. Which ones do you think would be my best bet, given the camera I'm using?

Thanks!
Vicky Orsini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Need Some Rental Advice

Audio:
Rent a Sennheiser wireless lav mic. Do not use a shotgun on a tripod, it'll sound nearly as bad as your camera.

Lighting:
Keep it simple, rent a Kino Diva light. Sets up fast and makes (almost) anyone look good.

Ask the rental company to give it to you the day before for free so you can try the gear out and get familiar with it.
Old September 11th, 2011, 02:46 PM   #3
New Boot

Re: Need Some Rental Advice

Excellent! Thanks so much Dylan! :)
Vicky Orsini is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders