Which WD - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 12th, 2011, 05:58 AM   #16
Wrangler

Re: Which WD

I look forward to hearing your results.

My recolleciton from the XL1 days is that Raynox was not a well respected option. As previously noted In glass you tend to get what you pay for.

With HD having nearly 3x the horizontal resolution of SD, I suspect older adapters for SD camcorders may not do well in critical tests.
Old October 12th, 2011, 07:21 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Yes, that is why the older Canon adapter Angelo selected may not hold out so well in his test. It is not designed for HD but I could be wrong. I know the original W58 isn't. I had the original or close to it for my HV30 and it was a fine adapter, but for HD I don't know if it would hold up. On the other hand, the Raynox he's ordered is designed for HD.

So using an older Canon with a newer Raynox might skew the results. If he were to try the W58H or whichever one is designed for the Canon G10/Xa10,, I'm thinking then that model would hold up better.

On the other hand, the Sony WA that Buba uses is quite an old model, but Buba likes it. And Buba knows his stuff. So where does that leave us? Who knows.

The Sony must have originally an very good piece of glass. If anyone remembers the quality of the camera it was made for, it likely was very good indeed. I have decided to not buy anything at this point, I don't need or want anything more to carry around. With several DSLR type cameras, the lenses I have and other accessories it's all too much. I'm actually in the process of eliminating gear and streamlining at this point, so while nice to have, don't need it , really. When I had the Canon one I rarely used it.
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Trustee

Now you make me thinking, I've never even tried WD-H58W, I think I need side by side with VLC :)
Old October 12th, 2011, 12:49 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Yes, that is why the older Canon adapter Angelo selected may not hold out so well in his test. It is not designed for HD but I could be wrong. I know the original W58 isn't. I had the original or close to it for my HV30 and it was a fine adapter, but for HD I don't know if it would hold up. On the other hand, the Raynox he's ordered is designed for HD..
Jeff,

The Canon I bought (WD-H58) was designed for the HF S100 - which is also an AVCHD camera - with close to identical specs as the G10. So while it is not the newest model WD (that being the WD-H58W) - I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work well on the G10. But we'll see!

Maybe you were confusing it with the WD-58H, which was designed for DV cameras - which I would not attempt to use on the G10.

The model #s are all very similar, and it does get confusing!

Angelo
Old October 12th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #20
Go Cycle

The WD-H58 will have vignetting in the wider angle with the current cameras. I know this as a fact. I had to purchase the 58W to eliminate the issue.
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:06 PM   #21
Inner Circle

Angelo, like I said, I could be wrong, wasn't sure. Didn't take the time to look them up.

I also said the Sony isn't made for HD (unless I'm wrong there too, I thought it was made for the PD170) but Buba said it works fine, so who knows. By endorsing the Sony I'm contradicting myself, actually.

The Canon made for the XA10 is certainly expensive, Angelo, I can't disagree with you there. I hope the Raynox works out.
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:24 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
The WD-H58 will have vignetting in the wider angle with the current cameras. I know this as a fact. I had to purchase the 58W to eliminate the issue.
Well that certainly answers the question at hand. Thanks Lou. I can confirm that the Raynox works fine, I received it in the mail today and the only negative I can immediately see is some minor distortion at the very edge of the frame and corners. I'll get the WD-H58 in the mail tomorrow, and confirm the vignetting that Lou mentions. If that is the case, I'll buy the WD-H58W and do a shootout between the Raynox HD-7000 and the WD-H58W at twice the price. Fortunately, these are all from B&H which has a great return policy.

Thanks again!
Angelo
Old October 12th, 2011, 04:27 PM   #23
Inner Circle

I think it's a shame can't do that with the Sony, I'd love to hear the results of that shootout.
Old October 13th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #24
Trustee

I guess picture is worth a thousand words,
(minus vimeo compression)
Old October 13th, 2011, 11:19 AM   #25
Regular Crew

That is a great demo Buba. Is that your camera work? What jib are you using?

That Sony lens looks fabulous, and as you mentioned they can be found very inexpensively on eBay. I might have to track one of those down.

I can also confirm Lou's comment about the WD-H58. It definitely does vignette at the corners, so that one is going back to B&H.
Old October 13th, 2011, 03:27 PM   #26
Inner Circle

Wow, Buba.
Old October 17th, 2011, 07:25 AM   #27
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Ucciferri View Post
What jib are you using?
I think the cheapest one, 12ft proam
ProAm Cranes
Old October 17th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I still have VCL-HG0758 since PD170 and it works just fine on G10, full zoom through , very litlle CA and distortion,
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa...omparison.html
you can find one on ebay very cheap
Just bought one used in mint state. The best spent 50$ ever
Works just fine!! : )
the quality of the lens is quite amazing, and cannot get myself around the fact that so many people sell it used for so little money...

Last edited by Federico Perale; October 18th, 2011 at 07:32 AM.
Federico Perale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:24 AM   #29
Wrangler

Thanks Federico. Looks like a hint of CA on the edges, especially on the post at the right edge.
Be interesting to see comparison with similar shots from the Reynox and the Canon adapters.
Old October 18th, 2011, 07:31 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
I guess picture is worth a thousand words,
(minus vimeo compression)
HF G10 + VCL-HG0758 on Vimeo
Buba did you tick "conversion lens" in the options menu of the G10? I tried but I see no difference at all either way
it seems fine even with that option OFF
Federico Perale is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders