Which WD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old September 25th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Wrangler

Which WD

Canon has at least three 58mm wide angle converters for its video camera line.
WD-58H
WD-H58
WD-H58W

The first two are 0.7x and the last is 0.8x designed for the XA10 (and higher priced too!)

Any comments on using the others with the XA=10 beyond 21mm (if using the 0.7x, being rather wide.?

TIA
Old September 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: Which WD

The 0.8x WA works perfect on the XA 10.
I think the 0.7x lens will vignette at full wide, particularly if the image stabilization is active.
Old September 26th, 2011, 06:22 AM   #3
Trustee

I still have VCL-HG0758 since PD170 and it works just fine on G10, full zoom through , very litlle CA and distortion,
http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa...omparison.html
you can find one on ebay very cheap
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:12 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I am about to buy a wide angle lens adapter for my G10, and I am curious about something. What is that little sensor that sits right below the lens? It looks like it's a focus sensor, but it would be covered by the screw on wide angle lens. Which would mean that whatever this sensor does, is now being altered by the lens adapter.

Is this a problem? Are users still having solid AF with their wide angle adapters mounted?
Angelo
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:14 PM   #5
Inner Circle

I read somewhere that night vision thingy doesn't work with WA on the camera, maybe that's it. I bet it is.
Old October 10th, 2011, 10:36 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
I read somewhere that night vision thingy doesn't work with WA on the camera, maybe that's it. I bet it is.
I don't think the camera has night-vision. It has a night and low light programs - but those don't actually use the green infrared "Paris Hilton" effect.

I dug out the manual, and that little sensor is in fact the "Instant AF" sensor.

So I ask any Wide Angle owners - how is the instant AF performance with the adapter mounted right over the auto-focus sensor. Seems like a bad place for such an important sensor! Maybe it's a non-issue, but I wanted to check before I bought one.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old October 11th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #7
Wrangler

Just a guess, but I suspect that given the depth of field at wide angle settings, the impact of covering the sensor would probably not be critical for most wide shots, but focus would be slower

However, the XA10 does have IR capability. The IR emitter is in the handle.
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:40 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo Ucciferri View Post

So I ask any Wide Angle owners - how is the instant AF performance with the adapter mounted right over the auto-focus sensor. Seems like a bad place for such an important sensor! Maybe it's a non-issue, but I wanted to check before I bought one.
like almost any camera with WA lens on it works fine when there is enough light, but I have to say that even in the dark receptions G10 holds it very well, better than EX1 with Schneider, AF is fast and accurate, but I keep it wide all the time, it might behave differently at deeper aperture
Old October 11th, 2011, 10:33 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
However, the XA10 does have IR capability. The IR emitter is in the handle.
I have a G10, which makes sense why I didn't think the camera had IR night-vision.

Thanks for the feedback, i think I am going to pick up a lens today.

Angelo
Old October 11th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Angelo, I'm thinking of following Buba's example and getting the Sony for $100 on ebay.
Old October 11th, 2011, 11:38 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Good luck with the Sony Jeff. It seems like it should work great.

I am going to try the Raynox HD-7000.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/292491-REG/Raynox_HD_7000PRO_HD_7000_Pro_58mm_0_7x.html
It's almost half the price of the Canon WD-H58W, and (most importantly for me) has 82mm filter threads up front for a lens hood. The Canons and Sony don't seem to have front threads, and I've run in to some dust problems on sunny days when I am shooting without a hood. So that seems like a must for me. I see some cheap 82mm hoods on ebay.

To answer the original posters question, these are the differences that I have found between the WD lenses. These are just assumptions, I may be incorrect:

WD-58H - .7x - Made for DV era GL cameras, might not work for 16x9 widescreen. Or maybe they do?
WD-H58 - .7x - Made for HF S10 & HF S100. Probably works fine on most HD 58mm cameras.
WD-H58W - .8x - Made for HF-G10, XA10, XF100, XF105. Probably works fine on most HD 58mm cameras.

But, I have no idea why Canon is charging so much for the WD-H58W. I've bought Schneider / Century adapters for less than that, and they are extremely well made.

I'll follow up with some feedback on the Raynox HD-7000. It seems to get good reviews on B&H, so I am hoping I have good luck with it as well.

Thanks,
Angelo
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:09 PM   #12
Inner Circle

The Raynox lenses get mixed reviews, depending on the lens. I had a Raynox WA adapter and wasn't impressed at all, lost a lot of light, but yours might be one of the better ones. Keep us posted.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; October 11th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2011, 01:08 PM   #13
Trustee

I would strongly recommend Sony over a Raynox WA in general, ( I've used Raynox lenses in the past) and for XA/G10 in particular, very good quality, very little distortion and CA
Old October 11th, 2011, 03:46 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Canon charges so much because it's quality glass. The Canon WA adapters are very good, and are known as such. Raynox are really more of a poor man's lens. Not to disrespect them, but it's true. Some of their lenses are better than others, for sure. Canon is know in the photography world as making some of the best glass there is.
Old October 11th, 2011, 04:54 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
Canon charges so much because it's quality glass. The Canon WA adapters are very good, and are known as such. Raynox are really more of a poor man's lens. Not to disrespect them, but it's true. Some of their lenses are better than others, for sure. Canon is know in the photography world as making some of the best glass there is.
Thanks for the explanation Jeff.

I went ahead and purchased both the Raynox HD-7000 and the Canon WD-H58 from B&H and will do a shootout and post the results. I work at a TV station, and I have access to high end ChromaDuMonde test charts I can use for the shootout.

By budget was around $200 - so I couldn't go with the new WD-H58W. But at least I can compare the Canon glass to the Raynox glass - and see if I notice any results. If I don't notice a difference, and the built quality is good on both - I do like the front threads on the Raynox so I might keep it. But if the picture quality is better on the Canon, it's an obvious winner and the Raynox will be returned.

I'll post the results shortly.
Angelo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders