DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   XA10 noisy case (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/501537-xa10-noisy-case.html)

Kawika Ohumukini October 12th, 2011 04:43 PM

XA10 noisy case

Hello, first time poster and new to videography.

I got a Canon XA10 a couple weeks ago and am experience a creaky case. The right side when I press on it with a very light force (either with my hand in the wrist strap or just pushing it with my fingers) it makes a creak sound that easily makes it to both microphones. Similarly, when I have it mounted on any kind of rig and moving or tilting the camera in any direction (presumably stressing the case) or putting a single handle in the tripod mount and moving it in any direction, it makes the same creak.

Second, when I move it quickly side to side I hear something moving inside the housing (I taped the XLR latches just in case) that sounds like a wire.

I contacted Canon who said to send it to a service center and Amazon who told me not to do that and instead get a replacement through them which I'm going to do.

I just wanted to get your feedback on if this is common and is my replacement just going to make the same noise?

I made a short video of the noise that I can post to youtube if it will help understand what I'm describing.

Thanks and have a nice day.
-- Kawika

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2011 06:57 PM

Re: XA10 noisy case

Hi, not a problem on my XA10, so I can't tell help, sorry. I haven't read of this issue yet.

Allan Black October 12th, 2011 07:08 PM

Did you buy through Amazon? I thought you'd have to contact your seller.

Also in case you need some more answers for them, before you send it in, take it to a Canon shop in SD, get their opinion on what happened.
Hope this helps.

Cheers.

Jeff Harper October 12th, 2011 07:37 PM

First when moving side to side you might be hearing the infamous rattling sound. That is a known issue. Some people bug out over it, others don't seem to think it's a big deal. I'm one that thinks it is not a big deal.

I have bought and returned for a full refund a 30" Dell monitor from an Amazon buyer, have had nothing but good to say. Also, I think if you buy through Amazon directly (Amazon Fullfillment) you might be able to do exchange or refund pretty easily.

Kawika Ohumukini October 12th, 2011 09:59 PM

Here's a video I posted on youtube. It's unlisted so you have to use the link. I'm going to leave it up for a few days in case the Canon techs want to see it.

EDIT: Removed video link as Amazon is sending a replacement.

I think some of the noise is just regular camera noise like the shake which could be the battery since it shifts a little. The rest I don't know. I'm hoping they're issues I can work through in normal use.

Not sure I mentioned but this all started when I put the camera on a shoulder rig and leaned to one side and heard a clunk sound.

I did buy it from Amazon and they've offered to overnight an advance replacement. They are an amazing company. They've done this a couple times for me over the years. I was kind of hoping it was an issue I could work through and not bother them but it doesn't seem to be playing out that way.

Thanks for the tips and advice.

Cheers

Chris Soucy October 13th, 2011 02:46 AM

Well, there's one camera that has been permanently removed from my "must buy list", geez, what a load of absolute boll*&ks.

Makes more noise than my Zimmer frame - and that's saying something!

CS

Richard Stone October 13th, 2011 05:06 AM

Mine doesn't make those noises. Send it back!

Kawika Ohumukini October 13th, 2011 12:40 PM

Thanks for all the info. Amazon is overnighting another camera so I pulled the video and I'll see how it goes tomorrow. Cheers

Jeff Harper October 13th, 2011 03:17 PM

It's an amazing camera for the price, I'm thinking of getting a second one. Image quality is absolutely beautiful. The audio quality is of the highest quality, excellent circuitry. At it's price point there is no competition, yet. That will change, of course, but for now, purely based on IQ vs $$$, this is the camera.

Kawika Ohumukini October 15th, 2011 10:07 AM

Update on this issue is the 2nd camera makes the same noise. It seems worse with a tripod plate attached, I'm guessing it's compressing the plastic pieces together so any movement is magnified. Since I seem to be the only one with this issue, I'm hoping it's something like they changed their manufacturing process recently and aren't aware of this problem.

I've asked Canon for a solution and I'm hoping to hear from them on Monday. Sending it to them may be their only suggestion but I'd like to hear them aware of a problem (via the video which I've reopened) and know of a fix before I part with it for 2 weeks. Otherwise I may be looking for another camera. Cheers.

Jeff Harper October 15th, 2011 10:41 AM

I'd sure like to see the video. My cam is fine, but then the rattle that people make such a fuss about doesn't bother me either.

Kawika Ohumukini October 15th, 2011 12:14 PM

It's at XA10 noisy case. Any solutions? - YouTube. I made it public to see if someone had a solution.

I received a response from Canon and they still want me to send it in so maybe they don't know about it. I'll have to clear that through Amazon first but that may be what I do.

I love the cameras features and form factor so I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get this fixed. I'd even consider keeping it if they super-glued the case and wrapped it in bubble wrap but the way it is now it is just too much for my retentiveness to handle.

Cheers

Dave Blackhurst October 15th, 2011 01:08 PM

Reminds me of the HV-20 I bought when the were all the rage... casing noises galore, sort of negated any image quality for me. Stuck with Sonys because of it, I'm willing to accept SOME "handling" related noises, but creaking of plastic components that aren't sufficiently rigid or properly mated aren't on the acceptable list. Your short video brought back memories...

Michael Kraus October 15th, 2011 03:08 PM

That creaking noise is monstrous. I don't really know what to do about that. The rattling noise may go away when you turn on image stabilization.

Jeff Harper October 16th, 2011 01:27 AM

Go shoot video and stop squeezing your camera, that is my suggestion.

You've got to forgive me, but I don't get it at all. I watched your video, why in the world would you squeeze the case? I can not imagine any scenario where I need to squeeze my camera? What am I missing here?

And moving side to side at such a high speed? You are practically shaking the camera, at least that is how it appears. Who would ever move that fast? Moving that quickly from side to side the video footage would unusable anyway. In any normal environment (you are in a completely silent room) the noise would easily not be heard.

And the flexing of the handle while it is OFF the camera? That makes no sense at all. When the handle is on the camera it will not flex. So how is that relevant? Flex it hard enough it will break. It is plastic.

The strangest thing I have ever seen done to a camera is the pushing on the side of the case with pointed fingers. Why do you do that? When I shoot I hold my camera like a delicate instrument, at all times.

Am I the only one who sees this? I got curious and went to my camera, and I refuse to push or squeeze it as hard as you do, I don't want to damage it. I pushed it gently, no problem, it's very stiff.