xa 10 AVCHD files are divided causes problems. - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old January 12th, 2012, 03:30 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: xa 10 AVCHD files are divided causes problems.

using one camera, you won't notice the drop frames, but with multicam you will see the drop frame in between the files !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buba Kastorski View Post
this is interesting,
because I don't have any problem with long files from my HF G10, it does start new file every 2 Gb, this is a FAT file system limitation not the camcorder, but I don't have a single frame dropped in between the files;
although my G10 is one of the first ones and straight from Japan, but i don't think it makes any difference.
Tuy Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012, 08:08 AM   #17
Wrangler

In my experience you can notice the "dropped" frame in some shots as a jump in motion and audio. Whether or not you notice it does depend on the video content (motion and sound).

I suspect the frame is dropped because the the continuation files lack some of the header found in the first file, and that expected header portion of the file may be ignore by some NLE software resulting on a lost frame or so of data.

Binary concatination of the continuation files to the base file eleminates this issue; e.g, using the DOS COPY command with the /B switch.
Old February 12th, 2012, 08:51 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Thanks for the tip Don. The dos command works perfectly.

For those who do not want to look it up it works like this:

copy /b 00001.mts+00002.mts+00003.mts+00004.mts merged.mts

In this case, 1,2 and 3 are 2gb files. ( mine show up as 1,998,708 kb) and the 4th file will be less than the first three files, meaning you pressed stop record.

After the 4th file you need to type a name for the new file to be created too. In this case, I called it merged.mts, you can call it anything you want. If you forget to add the new name after the last file, what will happen is, 2,3,and 4 will be merged onto 1. So you will now have a 00001.mts file that has the other three files added to it.

You will not have any pausing or dropping of two frames between each of the MTS files this way as it will be one new 6gb+ file.

Canons solution as well as many other manufactures, is to use their software that came with the camera, connect the camera to the PC/MAC and use the joining software on the fly to import it to the system. I prefer to use USB 3.0 and transfer the cards individually and now with Dons dos command this solves the problem nicely.
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2012, 07:30 AM   #19
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuy Le View Post
using one camera, you won't notice the drop frames, but with multicam you will see the drop frame in between the files !
I'm sorry, i do not understand hows one camera is different from multicam shot, in terms of dropped frames?
Old March 25th, 2012, 05:54 PM   #20
Regular Crew

This concerns me, I just got the XA10 and will be using it with a miniDV camera. Then I'll need to sync the footage from these two cameras in post production. If there's frames dropped, this could be problematic since the miniDV camera will record a full 60 mins of tape with no dropped frames........?
Mike Costantini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Costantini View Post
This concerns me, I just got the XA10 and will be using it with a miniDV camera. Then I'll need to sync the footage from these two cameras in post production. If there's frames dropped, this could be problematic since the miniDV camera will record a full 60 mins of tape with no dropped frames........?
A long video clip on the XA10 will consist of multiple files 2GB in length that need to be joined back together before editing. All AVCHD camcorders split the video in this way. There are many utilities that will join the files back together to restore the original clip without dropping any frames. If you have dropped frames, then you are doing it wrong. As mentioned above, the DOS/Windows command
Code:
copy /b 00001.mts + 00002.mts + 00003.mts + 00004.mts joined.mts
will join the pieces back together. No frames will be lost provided you join the right pieces together.
Eric Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Never seen this; I import with the supplied Canon software and it doesn’t stitch them together or I haven’t been letting it if it does. I import them into Premiere and drop them on the timeline and they never miss a beat from what I can tell so far.
Jason Garrett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders