What's the diff between 17mbps and 24mbps? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old November 2nd, 2011, 12:41 PM   #1
Inner Circle

What's the diff between 17mbps and 24mbps?

I've shot in both modes, but haven't yet been able to take the time to analyze the differences. I've got another wedding Friday, and am thinking about going back to 17mbps for the sake of file space.

What kind of differences, practically, are you seeing with the higher bit rate? I know more information is technically going to be better, but is it significant?
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What's the diff between 17mbps and 24mbps?

The higher bit rate generally will show up as smoother motion.

This is especially true for higher contrast motion. For example, if a black clad ninja is moving rapidly toward a target in a scene with a light background, you might see some artifacting (mostly macro-blocking) along his black sleeves and pants legs. A higher bit rate will decrease the amount of the macro-blocking, and depending on the algorithm used, might decrease the size of the blocks themselves. So.... smoother motion.

If what you are shooting is mostly static (like a sit-down interview), you won't likely see any improvement using higher bit rates. AVCHD takes advantage of this by lowering the bit rate automatically for you. So even if you set a max bit rate of 24mpbs, you'll get considerably lower actual bit rate.

Of course, if you are hand holding the camera, or using a lot of pans, tilts, and slider, you are moving everything in the image and therefore will have a considerably higher average bit rate.
Bruce Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2011, 01:35 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Bruce, thanks for the explanation. You seem to have said it all. I do recall reading higher bit rates do indeed smooth things out the way you describe, and it makes perfect sense.
Old November 17th, 2011, 04:32 PM   #4
Trustee

Depending on how the bit rate is allocated- some improvement might be seen with regards to tonal ranges or dynamic range captures with higher bitrates..............hacked GH2's can precisely do this and the larger bitrates display greater dynamic range..........so it might be possible to get increased DR with higher bitrates depending on set parameters.
Old November 18th, 2011, 09:04 AM   #5
Trustee

I don't think you can save a lot of space going 17 over 24Mbs, but you might get a slight detail loss in the shadows;
and don't forget stream is peaking at 24 and 17 Mbs, it is 21 and 15Mbs sustained,

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders