DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   XA10 Neck / Shoulder Strap ? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/502886-xa10-neck-shoulder-strap.html)

Michael Ferreira November 20th, 2011 08:04 PM

XA10 Neck / Shoulder Strap ?

Hey guys, Just picked up the XA10 and I guess it's my fault for dropping $2K and not checking the pics better but after handling the camera in person I noticed there is no where to attach a Neck or Shoulder Strap.

Holding the camera by it's little handle worries me since it's so light I feel as if I'm going to let go of the damn thing.

How are you guys carrying around your XA10 ? Do any of you have a solution ?

Thanks in advance.

Todd Mizomi November 21st, 2011 01:17 AM

Re: XA10 Neck / Shoulder Strap ?

There is a small metal loop on the back end of the handstrap - that is where you mount the optional shoulder strap. It's described on page 28 in the user manual.

I'm currently using a Tamrac N25 quick release camera strap - one end connected to the metal loop, and the other end looped around the carry handle. Kinda makeshift, but it works for now until I find a better solution.

Michael Ferreira November 21st, 2011 06:57 AM

Todd thanks for the reply. I should have said "there is no where to attach the strap besides to the little loop on the hand strap" It worries me that both ends of the strap connect to the same point and that point just so happens to be the back of the hand strap.

It's unorthodox and I guess thats why I'm having a hard time trusting it as a secure method for a shoulder strap.

I'm thinking maybe I'll do some type of Tripod C-Loop adapter(Custom SLR — C-Loop Camera Strap Mount Solution) to the hand strap... not sure.

Thank you for referencing the page in the manual. thats why this community is the best.

Mark Goodsell November 21st, 2011 07:15 PM

Michael,

For me, up to this point, I just use the hand strap and the attached handle to hold the camera. The hand strap is heavy duty and won't break. I generally keep the strap pretty tight because I like it that way. The cam definitely won't slip out of my hand. A thief could probably come up from behind and try to grab it and it would probably be tough to knock out of my hand. Plus, it is easier for my wire to handle as her hand is a little smaller.

As far as a neck strap goes, I have them on my other cameras and in the past, but not the XA10 at the moment. I will probably put one on in the future. I would not be afraid to hook one to the metal 'D' ring on the hand strap. That ring is VERY strong as you can see, and you know how strong that nylon webbing (strap material) is. Additionally, the strap basically has two attachment points to the cam (front/rear of the hand strap).

FWIW, I have a Canon HV30 with a glass W/A adapter (heavier than the XA10) that has the same basic strap attachment setup. I have had a neck strap hooked to the metal ring for years and it's held up just fine through all kinds of use. What I did, though, was get some strapping material at a fabric store (like Joanne's Fabrics) and made my own strap. At the time I didn't have time to order one and I wanted a strap that was narrow enough, didn't look expensive, and easy to curl up for stewing the camera. I sewed the strap permenantly to the metal ring, because I've had neck straps in the past on other cameras with plastic retainers that would gradually loosen from the weight of the camera and general handling. I was fortunate in a few cases and caught the situation narrowly avoiding a catastrophe. So, I always sew the straps on permenantly with upholstery thread. I also usually put black tape over where it says "Sony" or "Canon" and "HD" because of some of the poor areas I go to, I want to avoid as much attention as possible. Therefore, black straps are always good.

B&H has a bunch of different types of quality straps. I have one just like this on my Sony Z5.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/561956-REG/Bower_SS10NBLU_SS10_Deluxe_Heavy_duty_Neck.htmlIt's soft, padded and VERY comfortable around the neck, especially for a larger camera like a Z5. It's a nice product, no sharp edges to 'dig' into or abraid your neck. A lot better strap than the standard flat Sony/Canon straps you usually get with cams. For an XA10, you could get by with a slightly thinner strap. But if you want a nice strap, you won't go wrong with one like this. Well, Good luck..

Jos Svendsen November 25th, 2011 12:50 PM

Hi

I use a Black Rapids strap that attaches to the tripod mount. It is designed for SLRs, but proves very useful for video cameras as well.

You have to get used to the camera dangling upside down, but this strap gives a lot of freedom in moment, and at the same time a feeling for where the camera is.

However - I suggest that you test it before you buy, as the concept can feel somewhat stange.