Relay recording mode at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old February 18th, 2012, 08:01 AM   #1
New Boot

Relay recording mode

Just a quick question about this mode. When set to card A and B, a small plus sign appears on the A card icon on the screen and the time available adjusts to combine both cards. However this setting does not seem to be saved when powering off the camera and on again - the icon reverts to card A only with card A time remaining . However the dual recording card setting does save after power off.

Has anyone noticed this? Am I doing something wrong?
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: Relay recording mode

You don't say which camera you are using. I use the Canon HF-S200 which also supports this feature but not the dual-record feature. The following is quoted from page 39 of the HF-S20/21/200 Instruction Manual.
Any of the following actions will deactivate the relay recording fuinction:
-- Turning off the camcorder.
-- Opening the double memory card slot cover.
-- Changing the position of the mode switch.
-- Changing the camcorder's operating mode.
-- Changing the memory used for recording movies.
Bill Koehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 10:23 AM   #3
New Boot

Sorry, the G10. The same is on page 34 of the manual - my apologies. I wonder why it doesn't remember for relay on power off but does for double slot.
Paul Zetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18th, 2012, 06:33 PM   #4
New Boot

Yes, that is the way my G10 behaves, as documented on page 34 of the manual. Many different things cause it to pop out of relay recording mode, not just turning the power off/on. I don't know why they made it so "spring loaded" to drop out of relay mode.

To me it's illogical -- you pick relay mode if you're really serious about not exhausting memory, which means you're recording for long periods. Under those same conditions you're likely to change batteries, change recording modes, etc. which cause the relay mode to evaporate. You have to keep track of when this happens, then go back into the menu to reinstate relay mode.

If the behavior wasn't specifically documented in the manual, I'd say it was a bug. I don't understand the logic behind this.
Joe Marler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders