XA10 scenes have disappeared!!!! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:32 AM   #1
Major Player

XA10 scenes have disappeared!!!!

I recorded about 1 hour of footage to an SD card on my XA10. I went to transfer scenes from the camera to my PC using the Transfer Utility. The software said it could find no scenes on the SD card. Just a few minutes previous I was watching the footage on the camera, now it is GONE!!! Even the camera now says there are no scenes. HELP!!!!!!!
Bill Edmunds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2012, 11:18 AM   #2
Obstreperous Rex

Re: XA10 scenes have disappeared!!!!

1. Are you *sure* you were recording to that card? Is it possible you were recording to the camera's built-in flash memory instead (or even, by chance, to the other card slot)?

2. Download and install image recovery software to try to rescue the files from that card.I've had good results using ImageRecall 5 - Photo Recovery - Digital Photo Recovery Software and Photo Recovery Service -- they have a demo version available.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
Trustee

Bill,

A lot of these "transfer utilities" have an option to delete files from your media card as they are "transferred", in many cases this may be the default. And should something go wrong with the transfer the "deletion" can take place anyway, leaving you in the exact situation you find yourself in now.

Follow Chris Hurd's suggestion, then for future work copy files direct from the media card using the reader slot on your computer or an external reader connected to a USB port if your computer doesn't have a reader.

The reader I use on a computer where the multi card reader "failed" is an external, handles several card formats, and plugs into a USB port. It cost about $24.95 from an amazon vendor (B&H should have these also), I can use it on any computer with a working USB port.

I never use software "transfer utilities".
Bruce Foreman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

People use transfer utilities for various reasons, but like Bruce, I see no reason for using them, I copy the files directly from card to my PC.

Bill, please let us know how things turned out.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2012, 05:55 AM   #5
Wrangler

There is a reasonable chance the video is still on the card, especially if you have not added recordings to the card since the "disappearance." See the not at the bottom of page 173 (Disposal) of the manual.

It is not unusual for a memory card to have its fileallocatioin table / directory "corrupted" by some unintended action, such as removal from a piece of gear before the directory on it is closed or all pending writes have been completed.

I have encountered, and recovered from, similar issues with CF and SD cards as well as with MiniDiscs.

Please let us know how things turned out and what the answer was.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders