Canon VIXIA XA10 for stage events? - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old June 4th, 2012, 02:46 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Re: Canon VIXIA XA10 for stage events?

Thanks, Geoff. That helps.
Dale McClelland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:05 PM   #62
Major Player

I've just seen this thread and although it may be past the time of helpfulness, I still felt compelled to make some comments.

I have the XF100, the next model up from the XA10. It has the same sensor and chip, but a 50mps 4:2:2 codec, more manual buttons, a bit more size, uncompressed audio, etc. and use it with Final Cut X now although I used FCP 7 for several years. First, if anyone is having trouble adjusting from Final Cut 7 to X, I highly recommend taking the time to go thru a few tutorials - you'll never go back. Last fall I subscribed to lynda.com for a month ($25) and did the tutorials there - but there are others that are also good. And for someone like the OP who is doing fairly simple clips and cuts - FCPX is worlds faster than 7.

I also don't understand the problem with AVCHD - either with FCP7 or X. There are certainly no "gyrations" to go through. You just tell the video to import, and it copies it from the card and converts it in one step. It doesn't take very long (it of course depends on the speed of your computer), and In Final Cut X you can even see the files immediately, go ahead and begin editing native, and the conversion finishes in the background. There is definitely no reason to use Clipwrap or similar software. The codec used by my XF100 can actually be imported and edited natively in FCPX, but I never do that - the experience is just so much better using ProRes.

In fact, you can even scan through your clips and set in and out points before importing in both 7 and X. I actually use this as a first rough cut in my workflow.

So, count me as VERY pleased with my little Canon and FCP X.
David Dixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2012, 11:38 PM   #63
Major Player

David ... how timely for your post as I have an update regarding the camera and FCPX.

My understanding was that the App store would not allow your computer to upgrade to X if you did not have a compatible graphics card. Either I was wrong or it let me slip through. Turns out my iMac did NOT have a compatible card, which made it almost impossible to use.

Just today I received the latest iMac (I know ... coming out with new stuff soon) with an upgraded card and the fastest I could get. I still need to add RAM.

I shot a wedding this weekend with the Canon and Sony AX-2000 and FCPX did a great job of getting the files. In all my posts in different forums, no one ever asked about the graphics card and me not really getting all the tech stuff never checked. I came across someone elses post which led me to a compatibility list.

I'm still not overly excited about the camera for what I do because of the lack of buttons, but I grant that it does take some really nice shots. For now I'm holding onto it, but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks again to everyone.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2012, 03:54 AM   #64
Wrangler

Quote:
I also don't understand the problem with AVCHD - either with FCP7 or X.
One of the issues is you have to have the camcorder, or the card with the camcorder folder structure on it, not just the MTS files alone. That can makes working with stuff shot be someone else a bit less convenient.
Old June 5th, 2012, 04:43 AM   #65
Major Player

Scott:

Yes, you'd probably enjoy the buttons and features of the XF100, but it's more expensive.

And on your iMac, if they introduce new ones next week at the World Wide Developers Conference, I'd return it and get the newer one - you may still be within the return period!
Old June 5th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #66
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
One of the issues is you have to have the camcorder, or the card with the camcorder folder structure on it, not just the MTS files alone. That can makes working with stuff shot be someone else a bit less convenient.
So, you just give them the card, or a disc image of same - takes (on a Mac) literally a right-click to create. And, I have read that the downside of editing native files is that the export of the final movie takes longer in Premiere Pro on a Mac than in FCP X, so - there are pros and cons to every approach and workflow.

Look, I don't care what someone chooses to use, and I'm not trying to convince anyone to change anything they do. However, there were just some messages earlier in this thread that seemed to imply that using Final Cut Pro X in general, and AVCHD files in particular, on a Mac was really complicated. That's simply not the case, and I just wanted to provide a little counterpoint. As someone else pointed out, millions of editors use FCP, both 7 and X, with AVCHD daily without drama.
Old June 5th, 2012, 06:14 PM   #67
Wrangler

One just has to know and follow the work flow rules. They are not obvious to all users. And if the material originates in a not-a-Mac environment ...
Old June 6th, 2012, 09:39 PM   #68
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dixon View Post
I've just seen this thread and although it may be past the time of helpfulness, I still felt compelled to make some comments.

I have the XF100, the next model up from the XA10. It has the same sensor and chip, but a 50mps 4:2:2 codec, more manual buttons, a bit more size, uncompressed audio, etc. and use it with Final Cut X now although I used FCP 7 for several years. First, if anyone is having trouble adjusting from Final Cut 7 to X, I highly recommend taking the time to go thru a few tutorials - you'll never go back. Last fall I subscribed to lynda.com for a month ($25) and did the tutorials there - but there are others that are also good. And for someone like the OP who is doing fairly simple clips and cuts - FCPX is worlds faster than 7.

I also don't understand the problem with AVCHD - either with FCP7 or X. There are certainly no "gyrations" to go through. You just tell the video to import, and it copies it from the card and converts it in one step. It doesn't take very long (it of course depends on the speed of your computer), and In Final Cut X you can even see the files immediately, go ahead and begin editing native, and the conversion finishes in the background. There is definitely no reason to use Clipwrap or similar software. The codec used by my XF100 can actually be imported and edited natively in FCPX, but I never do that - the experience is just so much better using ProRes.

In fact, you can even scan through your clips and set in and out points before importing in both 7 and X. I actually use this as a first rough cut in my workflow.

So, count me as VERY pleased with my little Canon and FCP X.
David, good post which I agree with fully. My G10 works fine with FCPX and I'm on an older (2006) MacPro. There is one fly in the ointment, and that is FC can't see PsF files as progressive. They come in as interlaced and I've tried a few ways to get around it, but no joy. So I stick with 60i or 24p, which is a pity because I have a feeling 30p would be a happy medium, but causes too may problems at the moment. Anyway, back on topic.... I think the G10 is brilliant for stage events, and I bet the XA10 is even better... :-)
Geoff Holland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2012, 10:10 AM   #69
New Boot

You can make FCP X treat PsF footage as progressive as follows:
Select the clip(s) in the event library.
Select the "Info" tab in the inspector.
Select "Settings View" from the drop down menu at the bottom of the inspector.
Change the "Field Dominance Override" field in the inspector to progressive.

Hope this helps.
Richard Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2013, 11:38 PM   #70
Major Player

One Year Later

This was quite a thread about a year ago and the info I received was quite helpful. By the end I was ready to give up on the XA10 and considered selling it. I did also end up purchasing the Sony AX2000 because of the 20x zoom. So what happened in the last year?

I ended up not doing a lot of video after spring, but then it started picking up again. The amazing thing is that I now like my XA10 more than the AX2000. When going to DVD I just don't see any difference in the picture.

What happened is that I'm now providing a regional theatre with archive videos of their shows. It almost killed me not to be able to physically run the camera, but I'm required to set it up at a wide angle, hit record and leave it alone ... I don't even sit near it ... but then it showed me how much the camera can do on its own and I really like the results.

I started setting the camera in Program Mode with shutter priority (Tv) and using manual focus. I didn't want the camera shooting in anything less than 1/60 shutter speed, but any other adjustments was fine with me.

This weekend I shot 5 events in 4 days. The last day I finally decided to use my Canon as my main camera and Sony for the wide. The 10x lens isn't as restrictive as I thought it was going to be and now I'm going to consider the new XA20 when it comes out.

I do think that the Canon is harder, much harder to get used to, but that's because I've used Sony's for a lot of years and they all basically worked the same.. I miss the external controls, but I'm getting used to the wheel on the Canon.

After hauling around equipment this last week I kept thinking ... if I could put two cameras in one bag and XLR cables and digital recorders in another it would make things so much simpler. So, that's the way I'm headed.

Thanks for all the input last year. It was quite helpful and opened my eyes to a new way of shooting. It's probably time to put up a couple of Sony's for sale.
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders