XA10 recording settings at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old April 24th, 2012, 07:40 PM   #1
Major Player

XA10 recording settings

I've searched the forum and can't really find anything that applies although I'm sure it's been asked before.

For my stage events ... the final output is multiple DVDs. The XA10 has
1. MXP
2. FXP
3. XP+
4. SP
5. LP

I shot my first event in the FXP mode (not even sure why). Is this overkill for a stage production? Keep in mind I have no conception of different rates. My mind can't seem to process stuff like that, but if I know that shooting SP gives me footage that will transfer well when I go to DVD then I'm good. Any suggestions along those lines?

BTW ... I have zero experience with this format.

Thanks
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012, 07:46 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: XA10 recording settings

In my opinion FXP is perfect balance between size and quality for most applications.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
Wrangler

In general it is better to shoot and edit at the highest quality you can, and transcode down to delivery format as the final step. That preserves quality, especially if you are doing any effects, filters, etc. through the process. The main reason to shoot at a lower quality (data rate) is a shortage of memory in the camcorder, or limited processing power on the editing workstation.

However, it is your choice, so why not run some short tests at each setting and see how they look converted down to DVD. Be sure to include a wide range of colors, details, lighting, applied editingeffrcts/filters, and especially motion, (the same for each test case) and use finad DVD compresion/bit rates similar to your delivered products. You may even find that XP+ meets your needs.
Old April 25th, 2012, 06:30 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I choose FXP because I routinely shoot with three or four cameras, and Sony Vegas is easier to work with when I use a lower bit rate. I also find the extra card space valuable when I shoot in FXP. The quality of my images is more determined in my case by my choosing proper settings on the camera, shooting from the best angles and position, and utilizing available light properly. My card filled up on one cam Saturday at the very end, and I'm really glad I chose FXP, as I would have had to change cards at some point, which I hate to do. I hate being distracted by such things.

Higher is better, as Don says, but the diff betweeen the two highest settings just isn't enough for me to lose the card space and then on top of that, further bog down my PC.

For a single or two camera shoot, if you're computer is powerful enough I might just go with MXP, I dunno. In the end I feel there are more practical advantages for me by going a bit lower, and that by going higher I don't see enough advantage to it. It's different for everyone.

If you have card space aplenty and a fast PC, there is no reason to not use the higher setting.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; April 25th, 2012 at 07:30 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:28 AM   #5
Regular Crew

The XA10 has a really neat feature of converting the high def footage to SD footage from card A to card B.

I have tried it on my camera was I was impressed with the results. Has anyone else tried it? Does say handbrake do a better job from the original HD footage?

I am guessing, but maybe Canon is using a hardware chip to facilitate this conversion......??

Hopefully someone with more experience with this area knows if there is indeed a difference...
Joe Kollee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2012, 07:34 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Joe, this is interesting that you point this feature out. I've never considered using it. I too wonder how good it is. It is my understanding based on hearsay around these forums, that in-camera conversion is generally not the best, but I don't really know if that is true. I also wonder if the Canon XA10 does it better than older model cams that do the same thing.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders