DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XA10 and HF M52 - good pair? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/507370-canon-xa10-hf-m52-good-pair.html)

Jody Arnott April 29th, 2012 04:03 AM

Canon XA10 and HF M52 - good pair?

Hi guys,

I have a Canon XA10 and i'm looking for a backup camera with to pair it with. The new HF M52 has the same sensor, but I assume the XA10 has a better lens. Does anyone know if the image the M52 produces will be close enough to the XA10s to match it easily in post?

Or can anyone recommend another consumer camera that will do the job nicely?

Thanks for any info.

Mark Chafe April 29th, 2012 07:29 AM

Re: Canon XA10 and HF M52 - good pair?

I recently have been testing out camcorders for a web project I am starting and had the HF G10 and an HF M400. Under the same lighting conditions and settings, I think they are very comparable. The M400 was a little bit softer but depending on the situation this may or may not be noticeable.

The better match would undoubtably be the HF G10 and if I had the money to spend I would go with that, but for almost half the price of the HF G10 id say the HF M52 would be a close enough match. Also remember the HF M500 and M51 are the same camera basically so if you're look for cost savings you could go that route.

I hear tell that the video has been slightly improved on the HF M500 series over the 400's so it may even be closer to the XA10 than the HF M400 that I tested.

Mark

Jody Arnott April 30th, 2012 10:32 PM

Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and purchased the M52, i'll post up some comparisons when it arrives.

Jeff Harper May 1st, 2012 03:05 AM

Jody, we will be awaiting your report. I too am thinking about a M52, etc, and I look forward to reading your thoughts after you've compared them.

Jody Arnott May 1st, 2012 06:15 PM

XA10 and HF M52 Comparison:

From what I can see they look VERY similar.

Don Palomaki May 2nd, 2012 06:10 AM

My observation is that most camcorders (both makes and models) will match reasonably well when they are used under what for that camcorder are "good" lighting and shooting conditions. The differences appear when you try shoot at or near the camcorder's design limits such as under poor light or with high gain. Then the differences appear, sometimes dramatically.

The "B" cam should be selected according to the conditions under which you want to assure a good image match. Two of the same camcorder is the easy solution, but one's needs may be met by a more economical solution.