Newbie question...on continuous focus. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:24 AM   #1
Major Player

Newbie question...on continuous focus.

Why is it a DSLR (video mode) cannot continuously focus like a camcorder ?...say XA10 and GH2.

Is there a DSLR (video mode) that can do this as good as a camcorder...Im not aware of any.

Just curious.

Jeff
Old May 1st, 2012, 07:54 AM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Newbie question...on continuous focus.

DSLR is designd as a still camera that can take video as a bonus. It could be designed to allow continuous focus if the maker wanted to do so.

Because a DSLR has a much larger sensor than most camcorders, it has shallower depth of field, and continuous accurate auto focus may become more difficult. The greater DOF of a typical 1/3" camcorder sensor is more forgiving of slight focus errors.
Old May 1st, 2012, 08:47 AM   #3
Major Player

Thanks Don...

I really didn't think about the "size" of the sensor...but yes, I can see where it would be easier/cheaper to continuous focus on a smaller sensor. I think I would go all DSLR if I could get one with large sensor and continuous focus as good as a camcorder....but would probably be way over my budget.

I use the XA10 and GH2 they work just fine.

Thanks for your reply
Jeff
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
Major Player

Actually, some can Jeff.
The GH2 has continuous AF. It is slow and inaccurate, at least on mine, but Works on something like a pole cam. I forget which lens it works with because I hardly use the stock lenses, but it's either the 20mm pancake or 14-XX

There is a difference between DLR's and Camcorders. That's why I have both. Use the right tool because neither does it all.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2012, 12:23 PM   #5
Major Player

@Don Litten...

Yes, I know, I have a GH2 and XA10 ...the XA10 for auto focus accuracy.
I was just curious if a DSLR was available. It must be hard to engineer, or it would already be on the market. I prefer to shoot with the low profile DSLRs.

Thanks,
Jeff
Old July 20th, 2012, 09:15 AM   #6
Major Player

The new Canon T4i has continuous autofocus in video mode if you use the new STM lenses. However the youtube reviews I have seen of it show it is very, very slow to focus and nothing like you need in a run and gun situation such as a wedding reception.

I was all set to get the T4i but now will probably get the XA10 instead. Still would like the T4i but it moves down he priority list.
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2012, 08:33 PM   #7
Major Player

That's one of the things that keeps me from pulling the trigger on an AF-100.
The autofocus is very good on my XA10 and I would have to sell it.
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Inner Circle

the af100 and the xa10 are 2 totally different camera's that serve different purposes, it's like my t2i and my sony cx730, the Sony is the best "crashcam" I have in my arsenal, it's ready in a sec and if needed can handle r&g situations MUCH better then my T2I can. The T2i only gets used in controlled situations.

The main advantage I can think of with any large sensor camera is shallow dof, it's very nice for creative shots but hell if you want to follow someone giving a speech in a dark venue and your at F2.0 or f1.4, especially if that person moves around. Now I just use my Sony as it can almost match my dslr in low light and don' t have to worry about pulling focus, I just lock the focus before I start recording and I only have to concentrate on holding that person right in frame.

If you want good autofocus I wouldn't buy a dslr.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 07:33 AM   #9
Major Player

Yes and no, Noa

I have 3 DSLR's and 5 camcorders, 2 are getting dated now. The GH2's are far and away the best at just about everything, except autofocus.

The AF100 was supposed to bridge the gap but isn't doing a very good job.

The XA10 has the best autofocus of the DSLR's. I sold my 7D which had autofocus if you wanted to stretch the definition some..
Old July 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Autofocus on a camera with limited depth of field sounds like a non-feature. How would you control what it focussed on? WIth a narrow depth of field there could easily be very large percentages of the frame soft, so the camera would have to lock onto perhaps a specific part of the field, giving you control of which bit you want, then the camera would have to go in and out of focus a few times to make it sharp. This means you can't move, because then the sharp point will also have moved. It seems unlikely that auto focus on a DSLR would be very useful to me?
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2012, 01:10 PM   #11
Major Player

The Canon T4i's continuous autofocus has face recognition I believe whereyou can indicate the face you want to keep in focus. It just takes it awhile to do that!
D.J. Ammons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2012, 11:14 AM   #12
Major Player

The GH2 does too DJ and it does a fairly good job as long as you have good light. The lower the light the slower the focus though.
Old July 23rd, 2012, 06:39 PM   #13
Inner Circle

I have a Sony VG20, which is a large sensor camera. It does a fairly decent job of auto focusing in lit situations. Getting into shadows and darkness is a problem for most autofocus rigs, no matter what the camera.

Last edited by Chris Barcellos; July 23rd, 2012 at 07:24 PM.
Chris Barcellos is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders