DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   XA10 and HV30 cut together? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/508088-xa10-hv30-cut-together.html)

Aya Okawa May 27th, 2012 07:10 PM

XA10 and HV30 cut together?

Hello everyone,
As I remember there were quite a few people on this forum who also upgraded to the XA10 from Vixias HV20-40. I'm thinking of using my old HV30 as a second camera on a project with my XA10. I've compared the look between the Vixia HV30 and the XA10, and though footage shot with the XA10 is definitely clearer and more crisp, I'm thinking its doable. But maybe I'm just a newbie and don't know any better? Do any more seasoned users have opinions on how to match footage and if these cameras could be used in combination? Has anyone cut footage from XA10s and HV30s together before? All thoughts appreciated. Thank you!

Jeff Harper May 28th, 2012 02:14 AM

Re: XA10 and HV30 cut together?

Yes, it's doable, depending on the lighting available. In low-light situations the HV30 will look rough compared to the XA10.

Overall the XA10 has a different look than the HV30, so while the combo may work to some degree, the differences in the images could be tough to negotiate. In decent light the differences would be much less.

You are also talking a higher resolution image with the XA10, which contributes further to a difference in the video from the cams.

Don Palomaki May 28th, 2012 05:10 AM

What matters is how it looks to you, and to your client if this is a job for hire. And what works well in one situation may not be acceptable in another. The go/no go standard for a modest budget wedding video is not the same as for a major Hollywood release.

The delivery format can make a difference as well. Stuff shows up on a HD Blu-Ray that will not show up in a SD DVD.

With decent lighting the differences will generally be minor and most viewers will not notice it, especially if the program material is interesting and editing is competent and the viewers are not looking for differences. Where the camcorder are being used at the edges of their performance envelopes (e.g., poor light) the differences will be more apparent and require more attention with respect to color correction and noise reduction, etc. in post.

You can help the situation by using the cameras within their individual comfort zones and by, reducing opportunities for easy direct A-B comparison of clips in edited footage by using different camera positions, angles and views

Aya Okawa May 28th, 2012 09:33 AM

Thanks so much for this advice, its very helpful. You're right, the samples I compared were both taken in good lighting from the middle of the day; even then the XA10 footage looks so much better, but that is when I'm sitting here scrutinizing it and I hope it won't be noticeable when it is cut together. Its for a personal project, so at least I don't have to worry about an angry client... But I'll make sure to only use the HV30 in well lit scenarios. Thank you!

Don Litten May 29th, 2012 01:48 AM

What Don said...as usual. I have to meet him one day.

You can cut nearly anything as long as the perspective is right. Just think about cutting GoPro footage, GH2 and Xa10 together, toss in a Sony and a few misc other cameras.

Seamless footage is harder.