Canon xa10 and Canon t3i footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old May 31st, 2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon xa10 and Canon t3i footage

I really need help in setting up the right sequence in Adobe Premiere CS6. I bought an xa10 about a month ago. I was rendering out my first project with footage from it. I recorded it using the 24PF which I understand records at 60i which ultimately is 29.97fps. Ok, here is where my problems lie. When I rendered out the output file, the xa10 footage looks choppy. The sequence is setup for 23.97fps because thats what I edit the t3i footage with. Now when I tested the xa10 footage on a 29.97fps sequence it looks much better. So do I need to convert the xa10 footage to 23.97 to edit on the same sequence as the t3i? If so, whats the best format to convert it to? I don't want to loss quality but I dont want the files to be huge either.

Any help will be much appreciated, I have scoured here and google and unless I missed something I'm stumped! Thanks!
Keith Betters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:48 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Canon xa10 and Canon t3i footage

Is there not anyone who combines xa 10 footage with canon dslr footage? If so, any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:01 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Sorry Keith, I personally do not know about 24PF, I only record in straight 24p or 60i, to avoid the very issue you are having. Verify what PF24 is exactly if you need to, then I would take your question to the Premier forum for correct use of Premier. Just a thought. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; June 3rd, 2012 at 06:55 AM.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2nd, 2012, 11:20 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff, I think I've made a mistake by filming with 24PF the last few weeks but its a 4th camera so Ill just convert it the best way I can and cut to it only when I need to. From now on I will use 24p if mixing with 23.98 canon dslr footage. I will only use 30PF if I'm recording at 29.97 with canon dslr. I'm really considering the xf100 though for several different reasons, that being one of them.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:54 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Hi Keith, I think that converting it, if possible to match the attributes of your other footage would be the best thing if you have no other ideas. It is what I would do. I like having matching footage on the timeline. It kind of allows you to just proceed and not worry about how the end result will turn out, IMO.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:09 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Yea I converted it twice using Adobe Media Encoder. By the second convert it looks better. I have about 3 weddings that I will have to do this too, but from now on its 24p. I thought about that at first but decided against it because I thought it was 24 fps and not 23.98fps. However, I have discovered it is 23.98 and will use it from now on.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 11:19 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Keith, I screwed up two weddings recently and in the middle of a hundred clips, about 20 miscellaneous ones are 60i, and all the rest are 24p. I have to search and find the bad ones, convert them. It's a real mess, and I dread dealing with it. I convert using HDLink, which does an fantabulous job of converting, but seeking out each clip, etc, what a pain.

Good luck with your mess!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 01:11 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hey Jeff that sounds good. Where can I buy HD link from and how much does it cost? Is it the one by cineform?
Old June 3rd, 2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Keith, it's only available with this package: Cineform .

It's expensive, but it works well. Download a fully functional trial and use it for free to convert your footage and if you like it you can buy it!

It's a tad confusing to figure how to use, but it's very fast and works a treat, as they say.

You might also have to install an ac3 decoder, it's a free plugin or codec that is painless and is required, but it's no biggie.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Thanks Jeff for that link. Seems like a great choice. My only issue is I don't want to spend that much for something I only need to convert 1 camera angle for 3 weddings. Also, like I said " I converted the footage twice and that made it look more usable on a 23.98 timeline. Thanks though, it looks exactly like what I need. I am thinking of purchasing ClipWrap to rewrap the mts files, since I am on a mac and cannot watch them natively. I have to import them just to see what files are what, lol that is a pain. Especially when I'm just trying to separate the files into different folders!
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:34 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Keith, didn't realize you were on a Mac. As far as expense, you could in theory download the trial and convert all three weddings within 14 days and you'd be good. But as you say you're on a Mac, so you might need something else anyway, I have no clue re: Apple.
Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:54 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Your absolutely correct! I might just do that. I just downloaded VLC player for mac and it plays the mts files just fine for free! That's cool because I just need something to show what files are what. I shot a recital over the last 3 days with different age groups, and when I copied the files to the hard drive I couldn't tell which files where what. But with the VLC player I can at least organize them into folders.
Old June 4th, 2012, 05:09 AM   #13
Inner Circle

Keith, Windows 7 recognizes and plays avchd files natively and shows thumbnails, so if you decided to move to Windows 7 this would be an advantage, FYI. I can't imagine not being able to see my thumbnails.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders