DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon XA10 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/508355-canon-xa10.html)

Noa Put July 27th, 2012 06:09 AM

Re: Canon XA10

But if you want to expose a face right and think it is ok, the camera will tell you if it's not if you use zebra's. Like you said, it might look ok on the viewfinder but turn out to be overexposed when you edit it, zebra's prevent that from happening. That's why I don't have to do trial and error to get it right, when I use the zebra's I know it's right or not. Even better would be if the camera had scopes but it doesn't, that's why zebra is a very valuable tool to prevent overexposure on area's you want to be exposed right.

Jeff Harper July 27th, 2012 06:36 AM

Noa, I don't need the zebra to gauge the exposure on the face. It's also about finding a balance between under exposure and over exposure and taking everything into account in the viewfinder and finding a balance.

Even if one chooses to use the zebra there is a learning curve to using it to achieve the right balance in your shot. So either way one chooses to use the camera, either by sight or by zebra, you'll have to spend time getting the hang of it. You can get great exposure either way, you just pick your poison and go with it.

Noa Put July 27th, 2012 08:31 AM

The first time took my new cx730 with me (just one day after I got it) several of my footage turned out to be a bit overexposed, especially on the faces in bright sunlight and it looked ok in the viewfinder.

It was only a day later I discovered the thing had zebra's :( My older xr520 did not have this so I thought it would be the same with the 730, I am sure though if I would have known this at the day of the shoot I would not have any overexposed faces. So this was my mistake not to spend enough time going through all camerafunctions before the shoot.

Why do you think I hate not having zebra's on my dslr? I know zebra's alone are not the only tool to judge exposure but it would sure help me a lot in getting a much better exposure. I know there is magic lantern that provides this (think with colors?) but I have not taken the risk yet to install it, might expereiment after the weddingseason is over. With my dslr I think I have enough experience allready and always have to judge on sight but still got quite some footage that's either over- or under exposed, zebra's would give me much better results for sure. Just my opinion.

Jim Schuchmann July 27th, 2012 12:46 PM

Noa,

Magic Lantern is simple. I know it sounds scary, I too was hesitant at first, but I have had it on my 60D for a year now and it makes the camera a more complete tool. Just follow the instructions and no big deal. You'll love it.

Noa Put July 27th, 2012 01:10 PM

Might give it a testrun soon if time allows, I need to be sure to know what it does if I activate it before I do a paid shoot. I found it funny in the last release they claim that it's "a solid piece of engineering that you can trust." yet they do warn you with the installation files that it can destroy your camera and to use at own risk :)

Jim Schuchmann July 27th, 2012 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Noa Put (Post 1745729)
yet they do warn you with the installation files that it can destroy your camera and to use at own risk :)

I think they do that for people that don't follow directions.

Congrats on 1500 posts!!

Noa Put July 27th, 2012 02:34 PM

If it would have been my 1500th client I would be happy, but 1500 posts is just a reminder that I spend too much time online and should continue editing. :D

Don Palomaki July 27th, 2012 05:22 PM

Zebra are a tool, with an on/off switch to boot! They can help a lot once you know how to use them. The advantage is set at 100 they tell you what is blown out. Tells you what has lost highlight detail. Set at 70 may help with exposure of face/skin for certain skin tones. This helps you set your priorities for exposure of a scene with a wide brightness range.

The key is to know how they work. Zebra are a quick substitute for high quality monitors and waveform displays. A videographer who knows how to use zebra will, on the whole, generally get better exposure results than an equally competent videographer who does not use zebra with the same camcorder. Using waveform display and high quality monitors one can do even better,. But this is why NLE include image correction filters.

Go with the techniques that work best you you with your gear.