XA10 cases/transport - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old June 27th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: XA10 cases/transport

Hi Todd, Thanks, your write up was super helpful. I also went and checked out the bag today, I really like the look and feel of it. My only hesitation is that there isn't a zipper top. Sometimes I shoot in dusty/sandy (and pickpocket prone) environments and I like to be able to zip everything up, though its tough to find messenger bags that have the zip. But I'm still considering this bag. When you're done with your followup post about video camera adaptations, I'd love to read it. Also, in your post you mentioned using a battery powered router. I've never heard of that before, what is that for? Thanks!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 12:38 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Aloha Aya,

Yes, I know the feeling. I shoot at the beach quite a lot here on Maui and sand gets EVERYWHERE. ;-)

You might also want to look at the Think TankUrban Disguise series as those have a zipper top. Not quite as good looking as the Retrospective, but still workable. The Urban Disguise 50 or larger should be able to hold the XA10.

To answer your question, the wireless router is used when I'm shooting a wedding or a model photoshoot. It's easier to show clients/makeup artists/designers/etc the images on an iPad instead of the LCD on the back of the camera, so I have a setup where my 5D mkII can transmit the photos wirelessly to my iPad.

I did a writeup of that setup here:
Maui Beauty and Glamour Photographer Todd K. Mizomi: Canon 5D mkII wireless transmission to iPad

(Sorry, didn't mean to sidetrack this thread) ;-)

Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2012, 09:14 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi Todd, thanks for the suggestion, I'll check out the urban disguise line too. wow, I had never heard of using a battery powered router like that. very clever!

i'm going to check around for other zip bags to see if i find a good match. on the incognito side of things i am also considering using lens wraps to pad the body and handle and mics separately, so that I could use a standard commercial bag to carry everything. though in the end, i think i will end up like you having a few different bag set ups for different contexts. Thanks for all your help! Mahalo nui loa, Aya
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 01:08 PM   #19
Regular Crew

The lens wraps are also a good idea. I use those when taking gear to Japan.

BTW, finally got around to putting up a post on modifying the Think Tank bags for video cameras. It's a very simple mod, and could be applied to pretty much any messenger bag/backpack/etc, not just camera-specific bags.

Maui Beauty and Glamour Photographer Todd K. Mizomi: Retrofitting the Think Tank Retrospective 30
Maui, Hawaii
Todd Mizomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2nd, 2012, 07:20 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Thanks, that is a very helpful modification, I'll keep that in mind with my evolving transport setups. I ended up getting a Tamrac bag [ http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/858919-REG/Tamrac_542601_5426_Aria_6_Camera.html ] to try out. It worked well for a weekend-long shoot where I was on the move constantly. The bag is small and doesn't look too much like a camera bag, actually it looks more like a cheap quality messenger bag. The strap and clasp do feel extremely cheap actually. But it has good padding, and i can put in the XA10 and handle separately (vertically), a Rode VideoMic, a Zoom and all of my wasabi batteries and charger comfortably, with space for assorted small items. At this point it won't fit my wireless lavs, though, unless I change the arrangement somehow.

Anyway, I like the idea of having a bag that will comfortably fit the XA10 with the handle on and mic mounted, so I'll look into a similar set up to yours. Your post was also hilarious, btw! :) Thanks for the ideas!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders