What are good lenses for the XA10? Also, might I want any other accessories? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old July 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What are good lenses for the XA10? Also, might I want any other accessories?

I'm buying a Canon XA-10 and I'd like both one telephoto lens and one wideangle lens. Any suggestions? Also, any other accessories I'd want to consider for the camera?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 04:43 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: What are good lenses for the XA10? Also, might I want any other accessories?

Noam, you do know that they will have to be piggy back lenses don't you?

The XA10 doesn't have interchangeable lenses.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 05:21 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: What are good lenses for the XA10? Also, might I want any other accessories?

Can't I buy adaptive pieces to put over the lens? Are things like that ever any good?
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Major Player

That's what I meant by piggy back.

I've never had much luck with them but others seem to use them with good results. Mostly wide angle adapters. There is a setting in the menu I think.
I can't help with brands.
Don Litten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
Trustee

Canon makes an official Wide Angle: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/751265-REG/Canon_4892B001_WD_H58W_0_8x_Wide_Converter.html
Old July 31st, 2012, 07:47 AM   #6
Wrangler

Accessories will in large part depend on what you are shooting.

The Canon wide angle for the XA10 is a good choice. Many threads on this subject so search for lots of comments by others.

Any lens adapter changes the balance of the camcorder. Tele converters add both weight and cost a stop or two of lens speed depending on their multiplier effect.

You may find a close-up adapter (aka diopter) of value if you like to do macro work.
Old July 31st, 2012, 09:02 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Hi Noam,
I haven't used any other lenses with the XA10, but as far as accessories go, I'd recommend this set of Wasabi batteries to supplement the tiny Canon one it comes with. I believe others on this forum have had mixed reviews about the Wasabis but mine have been (knock wood) very reliable, and the external charger is very convenient. You might also want a sound/light bracket, which I sometimes use if I want to use both XLR channels, and mount say a wireless receiver and a shotgun on the camera. Good luck! Its a great camera.
Best,
Aya
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders