With the WD-H58W, is my Tiffen UV filter superfluous? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 11th, 2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

With the WD-H58W, is my Tiffen UV filter superfluous?

I bought a Tiffen UV filter to go on my XA10 to protect the lens. I am going to buy the Canon WD-H58W wide angle for the camera. Does that render my Tiffen superfluous when I am using the wide angle? Is there any reason to keep it on and put the wide angle on over it? Moreover, is it possible to put a polarizer over the wide angle to protect it? From the photos it appears the answer is no.....
Noam Osband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: With the WD-H58W, is my Tiffen UV filter superfluous?

Yes, you will not need or want the UV filter when using the wide lens. I don't believe the lens you are buying has filter threads, so no, I don't think you can use a filter on the lens, but I could be wrong.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2012, 05:28 AM   #3
Wrangler

I agree. If the UV is there to protect the XA10 lens, you do not need it with the WD mounted.

If you need filters with the WD (no filter threads as I understand it) consider clamp-on holders. The Cokin system with the universal ring might work (but I've not tried it).
Old October 12th, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Inner Circle

I've got Canon WD-H72/43 wide angle convertors on all my A1, A1S and HV20 and HV40 cameras, obviously I think they're great, I don't take them off :)

What first impressed me was the great colours through them. Those bigger lens are heavy on the front of your cam,
so you'll need to re-balance it on your tripod.

I have a thin strip of white adhesive tape on the lower left side of my A1/S cams and I balanced the camera with the heavy WD-H72 lens
on it, on my tripod. Then I marked the corresponding position on that tape, so I can quickly set the rig up.

Correct, they don't have a front thread for filters, but they could have provision for a lens hood. I've made cardboard hoods for the A1/S cams
but wind can be a problem.

It seems to me the front glass has a tough protective coating, but I'm always careful and use a blower brush to remove sticky airborne microgrit
before I run the cleaning cloth. Always do this at home before you go outdoors, by then it's too late :(

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; October 12th, 2012 at 06:29 PM. Reason: made it clearer.
Allan Black is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders