XA10 with 2 Sennheiser G3 receivers? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old February 18th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
Regular Crew

XA10 with 2 Sennheiser G3 receivers?

Hello,
I typically use my XA10 with one Sennheiser G3 wireless lav, camera mounted and into the stereo mini jack. I'm going to be shooting a two person conversation and would like to have them both mic-ed using wireless lavs. Would there be any problems mounting two of the Sennheiser receivers to the XA10 if i have a dual shoe mount for them? Would use the handle, dual shoe mount, XLR connectors. Will there be any interference between the receivers if they are side by side like that? I know a lot of wedding shooters use two lavs so if anyone has experience with this I'd appreciate it. I haven't purchased the second G3 yet so just want to make sure it will work. Thanks!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2013, 04:53 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: XA10 with 2 Sennheiser G3 receivers?

Shouldnt present any problems. (different channels, of course)
Old February 19th, 2013, 06:04 AM   #3
Wrangler

Probably not if they do not try to share the same channel.

I do not kn0w about the G3, but some system do not like to have nearby transmitters on the adjacent channels as well.

In some cases having antennas cut to the same wave length near each other (within a wavelength or two) might cause interaction hurting weak signals. Not likely at interview distances.

Be sure the rig is not too heavy for the shoe mount.
Old February 19th, 2013, 08:41 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try it out and see how it goes. At worst I figure I can run one of the G3s into a Zoom and then sync the audio up later... (tho I do not enjoy syncing in post!)
Old February 20th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #5
Wrangler

Please share how it worked out. Maybe post a photo of the rig once setup.
Old February 21st, 2013, 04:30 PM   #6
Inner Circle

two resonant antennae close together do have an effect on performance - after all, this is how a directional antenna gets it's directivity, but the quarter wave aerials on typical radio systems are rarely resonant - just close. They're usually cut for mid band and so become less resonant as the operating frequency moves away fro the cut length. The practical upshot is that because they're not accurate lengths in a half-wave dipole format, interaction is minimal because the quarter-wave physics relies on a large ground plane to give proper performance and a 50 Ohm impedance. A bit of wire on a small box isn't a particularly good aerial system anyway!
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Please share how it worked out. Maybe post a photo of the rig once setup.
So far have postponed the purchase and we will need to record in Brasil, Europe and the states, and would need different sets of transmitters for the different regions and that's more than I can invest at the moment. May go with a nice shotgun for now instead, and make the lav purchases gradually. If I try the two sets with rentals will post a photo. Thanks!
Old May 14th, 2013, 03:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Hello,
Just wanted to post an update that yes you can use two g3s just fine with an xa10. Of course while I was shooting I forgot to take a picture on my phone of the set up, but if anyone else was wondering just wanted to say that it worked just fine. I used my G band set with a rented B band pair; had one receiver in the shoe mount, and the other one clipped onto the hand-grip thing. Worked just fine!
Aya Okawa is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders