XA20 and Sony CX500 color match at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old April 23rd, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XA20 and Sony CX500 color match

I may also post this in Editing software forum but I will ask here first. At the present I own a Sony CX550 camcorder witch is AVCHD and uses the .mts2 files. I also on own a Canon G12 which I use for Photos and sometimes video. I also own three different Canon EF zoon lens from old EOS cameras. I am beginning to do more event work for family and friends. Need more cameras to do multi camera angles. I know I will be purchasing either the Canon 60D or 7D for mostly Photos and some video work. I worry if can get color of the Sony to match the Canon gear in Post Production. Need suggestions on next camcorder.

Option1: Should I keep the Sony and purchase the ( Canon XA20 main camera ) and try to match color in Post with the rest of my Canon gear?

Option2: Or should I sell the Sony and purchase Canon Vixia HF G20?

Purchasing two XA20 is out of my budget.
Kenneth Maultsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XA20 and Sony CX500 color match

I'll just tell you my experience. Working with AVCHD and trying to get the colors to match is just too much work for this level of work you mention. You may get colors close but they will never match exactly. I have tried matching my panasonic TM-900 to Canon and never get an exact match...and when you're cutting from a left side angle on one camera to a right side angle with a similar focal length the differences can still show through even after color correction. Sometimes I can get the skin tones to come close but then the background or wall will be slightly off. And when you already dealing with a low budget client, yet you want to put out your best work and use it in your portfolio, I just became a firm believer in using same Brand (preferably same model also) video cameras for multi-cam shoots.
Tony Maceo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2013, 02:51 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Re: XA20 and Sony CX500 color match

Yeah, mixing different brand of camera's will always give you colors that are slightly off and very difficult to get exactly right, I have 2 sony cx730 and they match exactly but my xr500/520 already look different, eventhough they are sony as well, they are sharper which is a sharpness applied in camera and they have more contrast and saturation. You are best off with two the same type of camera's.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders