genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 13th, 2013, 06:40 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Re: genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20

How about this one from BestBatts?

BP-828 Intelligent Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery for Canon VIXIA HF G30, XA20, and XA25 Camcorders - BestBatt.com

Anyone tried these yet?

Thanks!
Deb
Deborah Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2013, 03:52 PM   #17
Wrangler

I am about to give them a try (ordering today).
The positive sign is they list the BP828 and XA20/25 specifically.
Probably be a week to 10 days before I have an answer.
Old October 13th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kilgore View Post
I forgot to add that I found a third party battery that works in my G30 from ebatts.com. I don't know the longevity or the quality yet but this battery(B-9679H) functions perfectly in my G30. It seems to be the equivalent of the battery which comes with the G30, and it's under $50 U.S., depending on shipping charges.
Hopefully this vendor will have a larger capacity one available in the near future.
UPDATE:
Was in Colorado recently and grabbed that third party battery for my G30, and guess what........
The camera reported that it was not compatible......even though it had worked ok when I used it before????
I will stick to Canon Batteries for now. I wonder if this is a trend of manufacturers.......to lock us in to original manuf batteries.
Tom Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:34 AM   #19
New Boot

There seems to be two seperate threads running concerning much the same issue, the other being :
XA20 Third Party Battery.
Stephen Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2013, 05:40 AM   #20
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Gallegos View Post

Yep. All I can tell you is it works in XA20. I will know how well after this weeks wedding.
Old October 16th, 2013, 04:20 PM   #21
Regular Crew

I did end up buying the Batteries and Battery Chargers - Laptop Batteries, Digital Camera Batteries, Camcorder Batteries, Data Cables, Power Adapters - BestBatt.com battery and charger for my G30. It should arrive in a couple of days and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Deb
Old October 17th, 2013, 05:21 AM   #22
Wrangler

Two of the BP-828 equivalents and the charger arrived yesterday from BestBatt. They were ordered on-line on Sunday, and received Wednesday, shipped from NJ at the free shipping (slow) rate to northern VA.

Charged one for a couple hours until the charger light changed to green, and charged the other ovenight. Both in the charger from BestBatt (not in the camcorder.)

Both powered up the XA20 in camera mode and showed about 185 minutes battery tiime on the display, but that may or may not be reflective of actual performance capability. (I have heard that sometimes the remaining charge indicators need to reset with use. In any case it is roughly proportional to the time reported by the camcorder for a freshly charged Canon BP820.)

I have not yet had a chance to use them beyond checking that the camcorder accepts them (at least once each).

The charger external appearance and label specs are identical to the Wasabi charger (except for the branding labels). Both have molded BP808,etc. in the case plastic and identical thumb grip checkering on the case.

The batteries external apparance is identical to the Wasabi BP-827 equivalent, except for the labeling. The size and weight are the same within typical low cost Asian import manufacturing tollerances (weights within one gram).

Last edited by Don Palomaki; October 18th, 2013 at 05:14 AM. Reason: update
Don Palomaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 07:43 AM   #23
New Boot

Thanx Don,

Be interested to know a bit later after you've "field tested" these, just to see if they do indeed keep getting recognised by the camera.

I would presume that if the camera recognises them ok, then they should also charge in the camera.
Stephen Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 06:05 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Gallegos View Post
I did end up buying the Batteries and Battery Chargers - Laptop Batteries, Digital Camera Batteries, Camcorder Batteries, Data Cables, Power Adapters - BestBatt.com battery and charger for my G30. It should arrive in a couple of days and I'll let you all know how it goes.

Deb
Arrived today from Batteries and Battery Chargers - Laptop Batteries, Digital Camera Batteries, Camcorder Batteries, Data Cables, Power Adapters - BestBatt.com with slowest shipping possible selected and pleased to see my G30 recognized it and showed a charge of 221 minutes straight out of the box. Field testing it tonight outside at a cold football game and just letting it run for as long as it goes and then recharging it with the wall/car charger I bought with it. Brand name is "Kapaxen" on both. Pretty excited.

Deborah
Old October 23rd, 2013, 02:25 PM   #25
Regular Crew

Don and/or Deborah

Any updates on these batteries from BestBatt? ... assuming that you have been able to put in some camera time with them.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:17 PM   #26
Major Player

Derek I can tell you I used the BP-828 for several hours and it never went down. I started out the day on the Canon BP-820 and when it died I put in the 828 from BestBatt and it lasted the rest of the day and through the reception. I'm happy.
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:53 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Good deal. Looks like I will be placing an order for a couple batteries.
Old October 24th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #28
Major Player

I just bought one for now. That will get me by until the Wasabi batteries come out. Looks like Wasabi sells them in pairs with a charger for cheap and from what I can tell they have a pretty good reputation.
Old October 24th, 2013, 12:13 PM   #29
Regular Crew

I ordered two this morning. Within an hour I got a notice that they had shipped. I should be able to put them to the test over the next few weeks.
Old October 28th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #30
Regular Crew

I ordered two on Thursday and they showed up on Saturday. Very quick shipping. I put them both on the charger, which they must have been pre-charged as they were each not on the charger maybe 10 minutes and showed full. Tested them each on camera. Both powered up just fine. On showed 168 minutes, the other 182 minutes of run time. I will shoot some video with them in the coming week or two.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders