genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 30th, 2013, 04:45 AM   #31
Regular Crew

Re: genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Craig View Post
I put them both on the charger, which they must have been pre-charged as they were each not on the charger maybe 10 minutes and showed full. Tested them each on camera. Both powered up just fine. On showed 168 minutes, the other 182 minutes of run time. I will shoot some video with them in the coming week or two.
Same with me about it appearing to be "pre-charged." Mine has been showing about 180 minutes fully charged and it is definitely delivering. VERY happy with this battery so far and I've used it for a couple of all-day live events now.

Deborah
Deborah Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 01:26 AM   #32
New Boot

Hi, just wondering if everyone who purchased these batteries still have positive results (or any issues) now that it has been a couple more months? Was thinking of getting these ... or are the Wasabis out now?

Thanks,
Tim
Tim Knapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 04:02 PM   #33
Regular Crew

This battery is still doing great and going strong for me. I was a little leary at first because I hadn't heard of the company before, but I'm very happy with it and recommend it.

Good luck!
Deborah
Deborah Gallegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2013, 12:47 PM   #34
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah Gallegos View Post
This battery is still doing great and going strong for me. I was a little leary at first because I hadn't heard of the company before, but I'm very happy with it and recommend it.

Good luck!
Deborah
Great, thanks so much for that valuable feedback, Deborah. I DID see that Wasabi's version is now appearing on Amazon. You can get two batteries and a charger for a little over $80, which is a slightly better deal than the ones on BestBatt.

Do you, or does anyone else, have an opinion on the Wasabi's? I got the general impression that they were highly regarded from reading a few posts here. Seems like that may be the way to go if that is indeed the case.

Take care,
Tim
Old December 27th, 2013, 11:20 AM   #35
Major Player

I wanted to get the Wasabi's batteries but couldn't wait so I got them from Bestbatt. No troubles so far.

If I were you I would get the two batteries and charger combo, seems like a good deal.
Old December 27th, 2013, 06:44 PM   #36
Wrangler

The main issue with low cost after market/3rd party batteries is going to be quality control. You can expect to see a somewhat higher risk of early failure or premature aging and perhaps some advertising overstatement. For most users it will not be a significant issue. For a few it will. It all boils down the how much risk can you tolerate.
Old December 27th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #37
New Boot

Thanks to both Tim and Don. Seems like the Wasabis are a better deal AND minimize that risk somewhat as I believe they have a longer track record. Will let you know how it turns out. Thanks again, everyone!

Best regards,
Tim
Old December 30th, 2013, 04:18 PM   #38
Regular Crew

I have been using mine for a couple months now with no issues. Mine have been used in below freezing conditions repeatedly and in and out of warm to bitter cold temperatures. No issues at all. They hold their charge well and power the camera with zero issues.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 12:23 AM   #39
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Craig View Post
I have been using mine for a couple months now with no issues. Mine have been used in below freezing conditions repeatedly and in and out of warm to bitter cold temperatures. No issues at all. They hold their charge well and power the camera with zero issues.
Fantastic, thanks. Sounds like they are equally amazing quality. Good to know there are at least two good alternatives to the brand name now. Thanks again.

-Tim
Old February 12th, 2014, 03:03 AM   #40
Major Player

I have had a Canon HF-S30 (BP808 and BP819 batteries) for some time, and now I have bought a XA20 with two BP820 batteries. Thanks to this thread, I know that I cannot use my 808/819s on the new camera, but what about chargers?

I have a LEMIX branded charger for the 808/819 batteries. The new 820 will fit, but is it safe to charge them with this charger?

Thanks for any one's experiences here.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #41
Major Player

I think I have my own answer here!

Both cameras are supplied by Canon with the same CA570 Compact Power Adaptor. So I guess that my LEMIX charger will do the job.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13th, 2014, 04:32 PM   #42
Inner Circle

I suspected as much. I have used a couple of different chargers on my XA20 batteries and they worked fine, but I prefer to charge on camera when I can, old habits die hard!
Old September 23rd, 2014, 01:05 PM   #43
New Boot

Can anyone verify if the Wasabi BP-828's will work with the G20's. I thought I read that the newer batteries were backwards compatible, but not vice-versa (older batts to new cams like the XA20/25).

HOWEVER, I believe this was for Canon originals ... although it seems like it would be the same for the Wasabi's, but can anyone verify please?

Thanks,
Tim

PS> I have been using the Wasabi's I bought back in Feb. without any issue ... they are great!! The two-pack with charger is a great deal.
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:06 PM   #44
Regular Crew

for under $ 50

Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery for Canon BP-828 and Canon VIXIA HF G30, XA20, XA25 : Camcorder Batteries : Camera & Photo

I used it on my G30 fro my first wedding and I did not have to change battery. I had 67 minutes battery and and a little over 2 1/2 hours of footage.
Khalil Ismail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2014, 06:50 PM   #45
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khalil Ismail View Post
for under $ 50

Amazon.com : Wasabi Power Battery for Canon BP-828 and Canon VIXIA HF G30, XA20, XA25 : Camcorder Batteries : Camera & Photo

I used it on my G30 fro my first wedding and I did not have to change battery. I had 67 minutes battery and and a little over 2 1/2 hours of footage.
But unless you can't afford it, or REALLY don't want another battery for some reason, a better deal is: Wasabi Power Battery (2-Pack) and Charger for Canon BP-828 and Canon VIXIA HF G30, XA20, XA25

You get two batteries AND a charger for less than twice the price, and it is Prime eligible. Actually got mine for sub-$70.
Tim Knapp is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders