DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/517557-genuine-canon-batteries-used-xa-10-not-compatible-xa-20-a.html)

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2013 09:43 AM

genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20

Title says it all. BP827 battery will not operate my XA-20. I have tried more than one, so it's not a battery issue. Not thrilled with this development.

Nate Haustein July 3rd, 2013 09:45 AM

Re: genuine Canon batteries used with XA-10 not compatible with XA-20

Bummer. Looks like they're running the BP828s now.

Bryce Comer July 3rd, 2013 10:11 AM

Yeah this sucks, especially since you can't even buy the larger 828 battery anywhere yet. I haven't received my XA20 yet, hope to by the end of the week. This news though is a real bummer. I will be heading off on a hiking trip in a couple of weeks & will need extra batteries. Hopefully I can source some before I leave!
Bryce

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2013 10:22 AM

Nate, thanks for saving me a few steps by mentioning the battery model #, very much apppreciated.

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2013 10:40 AM

Disregard post.

Jeff Harper July 3rd, 2013 06:13 PM

J&R had two of the batteries, I bought one. The original battery is not bad, lasts about 150 minutes, which makes is a good secondary battery.

Rich Woodrick July 24th, 2013 12:19 PM

Are there any batteries for the XA20 that cost less than $150.00?

Don Palomaki July 25th, 2013 05:25 AM

In what respect do the XA10 batteries not fit the XA20?
Is it all, or jsut some batteries?
How about the third party batteries?
Is it a mater of a bit of extra plastic, or is ther some other more significant issue?
Do XA20 batteries fit the XA10?

Tom Kilgore July 25th, 2013 06:11 AM

I purchased a BP820 battery which is one which will power the G30/XA20, and I tried it in my G10. It works perfectly in the G10.

It seems that even though the batteries that power the G10 are physically the same size/voltage/contacts, etc..... , Canon must have created in the G30/XA20 the ability to know the difference and to reject the older batteries. Why, is anybody's guess. I hate to think Canon is simply maximizing profits by limiting our options, but such is the nature of modern business I'm afraid.

Jeff Harper July 25th, 2013 06:27 AM

I can verify what Tom has reported. XA-20 batteries are backward compatible. When you look them up they are listed as being suitable for a long list of cameras. The XA-10 batteries, when used in an XA20, cause the camera to display a message such as "battery not compatible" and then it shuts down.

Rich Woodrick July 25th, 2013 07:04 AM

Thanks guys. I guess its top dollar price to have an extra battery which I got to have. I've always had good results with aftermarket batteries that cost 1/3 of Canons price. I'm not sure if 2 batteries is gonna cut it for a wedding and reception shoot.

Tom Kilgore July 25th, 2013 07:36 AM

I forgot to add that I found a third party battery that works in my G30 from ebatts.com. I don't know the longevity or the quality yet but this battery(B-9679H) functions perfectly in my G30. It seems to be the equivalent of the battery which comes with the G30, and it's under $50 U.S., depending on shipping charges.
Hopefully this vendor will have a larger capacity one available in the near future.

Deborah Gallegos August 30th, 2013 02:55 PM

Sooo... any further info on how that ebatts.com battery worked for you in your G30? I'm about to pull the trigger on this one:

VIXIA HF G30 Battery for Canon Camcorder ? Li-Ion 4 Cell, 7.4 V, 1.78 Ah ? B-9679H ? eBatts.com

Thanks!
Deb

Gary Burlingame September 14th, 2013 11:15 PM

For those of using the XA20/25 but have avoided buying a backup battery due to the high cost, here's an alternative you might consider. You can buy a 12volt DC - 110/120 volt AC power inverter( from sources like Radio Shack, Amazon, and ebay), then plug it into a 12 volt battery belt or pack (and many of you may still have these lying around because you're now using an on camera LED light that gets power from a camera battery rather than from a battery belt). Then just plug your XA20/25 power adapter into the outlet on your power inverter and voila--you've got all the power you'll need. I've been using this setup to record 3 hour+ football games and it works like a charm (I'm using a NiMH battery belt from Armato's, but 12v lead acid or NiCad battery belts/packs should work as well. Test yours first to see how long it will power the XA20/25). The main drawback to this setup is the extra bulk and weight involved but for tripod shooting where a wall outlet is unavailable it works great.

Tim Akin September 15th, 2013 11:54 AM

The ebatts battery they list for the XA20 and 25 does not work. They send a BP-819.