XA-20 is a fine camera - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 30th, 2013, 09:39 AM   #91
Regular Crew

Re: XA-20 is a fine camera

On the "CH2 Input" screen you need to change the input to "INPUT 2". I think that will take care of it.

Bob
Old August 30th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #92
Regular Crew

I was wondering that Bob. Thank you. I am sitting at my work computer and do not have the camera with me. I was re-reading the manual for the 20th time and I think that setting you mentioned might be the error of my ways. Going to look at it later tonight.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 06:28 PM   #93
Tourist

We have had our XA25 now for just over a month and last week the whole camera crashed. In so much as whilst recording the camera functions failed, you couldn't even switch it off. So its gone back to Canon and the dealer here in New Zealand gave us a full refund.

Now before the "crash" there were some issues with the lens. When zoomed in over 70% there were very noticeable chromatic aberrations when the subject was against a high contrast. It is worth pointing out that when shooting under the same conditions with our XA10, ther were no chromatic aberrations, in fact the image was excellent.

So if all you folk out there with either a XA20 or a 25 want to carry out some tests, then I will know it was just our camera that was faulty from the outset. Shame.
Martin Cowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 05:58 AM   #94
Major Player

I haven't noticed chromatic aberrations but haven't been looking for it either. What I have noticed is vignetting in the top right and left corners when zoomed in.

Here's a frame grab of it.
Attached Thumbnails
XA-20 is a fine camera-w-vig.jpg  

Last edited by Tim Akin; September 6th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.
Tim Akin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:21 PM   #95
Regular Crew

I've had that to but it is only some of the time. The closest I've come to pinpointing when this occurs (to the extent it is that obvious) is when the power IS is operating (as opposed to the dynamic IS).
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #96
Regular Crew

I have not noticed any CA, just the vignetting under some conditions.
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2013, 03:24 PM   #97
Major Player

Yeah, it's weird. In the video clip that the frame grab came from, the vignetting would come and go moving from the corners inward to the point it is in the picture. Not sure if this only shows up in bright situations or not, will have to do some more testing.
Old September 6th, 2013, 11:48 PM   #98
Regular Crew

You will see lots of purple fringing in high contrast images (such as leaves backlit against an overexposed source). It seems to be present in all images, but very noticeable when zoomed in. It can be minimized by some settings however, such as a small aperture and stuff like that. I'm not sure that this actually chromatic aberration though, it may be sensor blooming or birefringence from the microlenses on the Beyer filter, which kind of makes sense since you usually see it at a green/white boundary.

The reason it is more obvious now than with earlier cameras is probably a combination of the 20X zoom in junction with the new sensor. They have probably tried to get clever boosting sensitivity, and it has had an unintended consequence.

There is some real chromatic aberration at high zoom, where you will see slight ghosting in *some* places, so there are the two effects at play.

The vignetting I have only noticed when zoomed all the way out on a shaky camera. It doesn't seem to do it on a tripod. Since the vignetting "shakes" I suspect it is due to motion in the camera and adjustments by the stabilization system.
Steven Ansell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2013, 02:54 PM   #99
New Boot

I have a very odd question. I am looking to video blog from a studio setting with perfect lighting scenario and then post to a video site in a compressed format. So features and light quality aren't an issue with the camera. I am strictly talking end result video quality in a comparison of two cameras.

A Canon XA10 for about $1200.00 used on Ebay, or a Sony DSR 500ws SD camera for the same money.

I am wondering what an HD camera with a single cmos sensor compares to a (3) 1/2 chip SD camera with a good lens once compressed for online video whether it be Youtube, Vimeo, or the likes.
Michael DiLieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2013, 06:47 AM   #100
Wrangler

Some things to consider. The SD camera recordings are limited to 720x480 pixels output resolution- your first significant limitation, it is huge compared to the XA10, and it is a tape-based system. Its analog output claims somewhat higher resolution but then you would need a separate analog capture capability, or IEEE1394 on the computer. The camera came out in 1999 -. is service and support still reasonably available?

With full control over lighting, many of the issues with lower end camcorders are much less of an issues. And you can easily take the XA10 to shot HD video for other purposes when you like.
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:41 AM   #101
Tourist

I have noticed some CA (or CA like effect) down the beach on an overexposed image, at max zoom. It was most noticeable on the left/right edges of the shot.

I haven't shot too much to nail it down, but it initially had me rather disenchanted. On reviewing other clips from that day, it seems the over exposed shots caused it to appear. Needs more investigation me thinks.
Jeremy McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #102
Wrangler

Was the ND enabled, or was it stopped down to f/8?
Old September 25th, 2013, 06:52 AM   #103
Go Cycle

I have the Canon HF G30 and I notice the vignetting in high contrast. I used the camera at an air show and noticed when a plane was fling against the bright sky, I observed the issue.

Old December 3rd, 2013, 05:01 PM   #104
Regular Crew

I didn't see a point in starting a new thread but, I wanted to give a quick update. I purchased a VariZoom Stealth from B&H and it arrived today.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/240135-REG/VariZoom_VZ_STEALTH_VZ_STEALTH_Zoom_Controller.html

It works really nicely with the XA20. All functions on the controller work on the camera. The zoom control is super sweet! This is going to make my life so much easier the next time I shoot a four-day horse training clinic.

Bob
Old December 3rd, 2013, 06:43 PM   #105
New Boot

The Libec also works very well for zoom and record (no remote focus), and is currently on sale for under $83:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/361366-REG/Libec_ZC_3DV.html
- Alan
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders