XA-20 is a fine camera - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old December 4th, 2013, 06:15 AM   #106
New Boot

Re: XA-20 is a fine camera

Like Alan, I also use use the Libec with my XA20 and have found it to be an invaluable add on - no problems at all.

With Bobs post it got me thinking as he stated he didn't want to start a new thread, might be a good idea if there was a thread along the lines of " useful third party add ons " for use with the XA20 / XA25 / G30 range of Canons - thinking about the more reasonably priced items such as remotes, lens. monitors, batteries, chargers etc. ( I know there is already a couple of threads regarding batteries )
Stephen Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 06:50 AM   #107
Wrangler

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa...cessories.html

Perhaps it should be renamed to Interesting Accessories?
Old December 4th, 2013, 01:20 PM   #108
Regular Crew

I ended up buying the Libec a couple months ago to try. I already have a Varizoom ProL. I honestly like the Libec much better for my needs than the Varizoom. I never have liked the focus control on the Varizoom so I didn't use that feature much anyway. The Libec seems to get everything done for me in a much more compact package for my type of video work. Good units though ... both the Libec and the Varizoom. Both work well with my XA20.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #109
New Boot

I am still using the same Manfrotto 522C Lanc controller and 3221WN tripod that I've had with my GL-1, XH-A1s, and now my XA20. Indoor/outdoors rain or shine it still controls my camera flawlessly. One of the best investments I've made. I also have had no problem with the Manfrotto MVR901ECLA controller I have on my 561 BHDV-1 monopod.
Tim Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #110
Major Player

Question for you XA20 owners:

I'm looking to replace my PanasonicAC160a with a HF G30.
My main use for this kit would be sports and performances.

1) Do you think i will see a decrease in resolution or overall image going from 3 chip to 1?
2) Is it possible to record 30p AVCHD to one card and 60p Mpg to the other? (i'm assuming not)

AC160: 3x 1/3-type progressive 2.2 Mp CMOS -Prism color separation / 28-616mm 35mm
HF G30: 2.91 Megapixel 1/2.84" CMOS / 26.8 - 576mm

Thanks for your time and input.
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:46 AM   #111
Regular Crew

After more than a month filming in New Zealand I can still attest that this is a fine camera (with one exception). The camera held up well through drizzle and light rain, against salt spray (five of the filming days were on boats), and in sandy conditions (although I am going to need to disassemble the hood to get some sand out of the mechanism that opens and closes the lens cover).

My one real, substantive, complaint (hopefully the only one but I have yet to review all of the hours of footage) is in the power management and boot time on this camera. I took four batteries with me but the *()^ poor charging design and time (needing to charge the battery on the camera) meant I could not keep all four batteries charged overnight. I missed two very good filming opportunities in waiting for the camera to boot up and then read the memory card. In many cases I just left it on so it would be ready to go but that really eats through the battery life. I was originally using large memory cards in order to not have to change so often. However, that ended up meaning that it took even longer for the camera to boot up and read the memory card so it was ready to film. In the future I think I will use many smaller cards, replaced daily rather than a few larger cards.
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 08:52 AM   #112
Wrangler

Are you asking for an external charger and/or an external power pack?
Old December 11th, 2013, 11:02 AM   #113
Regular Crew

External charger. I know that Canon is supposed to make an external charger and that aftermarket batteries and external chargers will be available but they were not in time for this shoot (at least in the UK). Still, the footage out of this camera is so much better than either my Panasonic or my XH-A1…..
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 05:09 PM   #114
Major Player

External chargers have been available for some time, I got mine a month ago in a package with a long life battery for around $50, just check EBay.
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 10:26 PM   #115
Regular Crew

I bought a Canon external battery charger when I bought the camera in August. I believe it is the same charger used with the XA-10. Though the batteries are not interchangeable, they use the same charger.

Bob
Old December 16th, 2013, 03:56 AM   #116
New Boot

I hope I'm posting this in the right place. I'm having problems with connecting my XA20 to a Samsung tablet or smartphone. The active/alive state of the Wifi button at the bottom on the FUNC menu and the one at the bottom of the FUNC/MENU setting is very intermittant. To change them from greyed out to alive state requires repeatedly switching the cam on and off and waiting between each attempt sometimes for up to 10 mins. I have removed the ext mike handle and kept the antenna area free.

When the buttons do become active and after entering a password the tablet will recognise the cam but then give "out of range" or "failed authentication" messages. This is after making certain that the pw is correct and the cam and tablet are within 2 metres of each other.

If a connection is eventually achieved, the tablet screen will show the camera view but not register any changes of the cam view, nor will any buttons on the tablet affect the cams controls.

Am I missing a step somewhere here, or is this perhaps a hardware problem with the cam.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Last edited by Neil Preston; December 16th, 2013 at 06:49 AM.
Neil Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:39 AM   #117
Wrangler

I would suggest posting the WiFi question in a new thraed with an appropriate title. This is a long tread and the title may not attract folks with the experience you need.
Old December 16th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #118
New Boot

Thanks Don, I will try that.
Neil Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9th, 2014, 02:26 AM   #119
Major Player

Early on in this thread (Post #17), J.T. Price queried whether the old 58 mm thread Century 2x converter would work with this new Canon. I can confirm that it works just fine. This will be the fourth generation of Canon with which I have been able to use this - XM1, XM2, HF-S30 being the predecessors.
Alan Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2014, 08:47 AM   #120
New Boot

I see a review of the XA20 on the B&H web site in which the customer states that the exposure can't be adjusted while recording:

• Can't adjust the Iris while Recording and can't even Close the Iris, to be able to Close and Open the Iris while Recording in the absence of a Fader it is nice to simulate a Fader or to add some Black to the video.

Is this true, or is this guy misinformed? I have the HF-G10 and the exposure can be adjusted while recording (this is what I usually have my "custom" button set to, so I can adjust exposure with the dial instead of touchscreen). I can't imagine Canon would eliminate that feature in newer models.
Sie Callebs is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders