DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   Differences from G30 and xa20 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/517899-differences-g30-xa20.html)

Ugo Merlini July 23rd, 2013 01:03 PM

Differences from G30 and xa20

Hi,

Can someone confirm that apart the xlr inputs and the nightshot the cameras are the same? What i would like to understand is if the G30 is in some way limited in video quality and manual options respect the pro versions?

Regards

Ugo

Rob Hargreaves July 23rd, 2013 01:40 PM

Re: Differences from G30 and xa20

That is my understanding (I have the XA25), so with the G30 you won't get handle which includes XLR (and the ability to take separate audio feeds into each XLR or send a 3.5mm mic or the internal mic to channel 2), the nightlight (night mode still works without the handle), tally light, the handle zoom rocker, and the handle record button.
The handle also allows you to get handheld "low" shots if required, so if you don't need any of the above, then the G30 will perform the same.

Ugo Merlini July 27th, 2013 12:56 PM

Hi

I was speaking with a friends of mine and also he puts the handle as priority respect an external mic because the handle can help to have a more stable shot when can't use the tripod.

On the other hand will certainly buy a rain cover so my audio could be an issue (as hobbyst probably is not a big issue) .

my shot will be landscape and wildlife.

Regards
Ugo

Jeff Mizushima July 28th, 2013 05:29 AM

I was debating buying the XA20, but went with the G30 and made a short video about why:

Hope that helps.

Bryce Comer August 6th, 2013 12:06 AM

Ugo,
I would have to agree with your friend's comment about the handle on the XA20. I have had a HF G10 for a couple of years as a b-cam to my other cameras. One thing I really missed about the HF G10 was the lack of a handle. Trying to do low shots with the HF G10 was a real pain in the ass. Not only is it more difficult to get the camera into a good position & hold it there, but often when you do get the camera into a position where you have your shot framed how you would like, pushing the record button can be a real pain. With the handle, not only are you able to keep the camera steady for these low shots, but also operate the zoom, to help frame the shot, & start & stop the shot via the record button on the handle. There is a reason why all pro cameras have a handle like this, & it's not just for sticking XLR's & mics on.
Recently I did a multi day hiking trip with the XA 20 & I have to say, I am very impressed with the camera compared to the HF G10, & so many of the reasons the camera impressed me was the form factor & the handle was a big part of that!
Hope this helps,
Bryce

Mark Goodsell August 13th, 2013 01:27 PM

Hey, if you don't need the handle, then you've found the 'perfect' camcorder for you in the G30. Personally, for a lot of the shooting I do, a Sennheiser MKE400 does a great job and is satisfactory. In other cases, the phantom power is a bonus.

I'm somewhat bummed that they moved the XA10 1/8" mini from the lower front, where it was out of the way, to underneath a rubber cover under where your hand fits through the strap. How the heck are you going to handle the camcorder with that flapper hanging 1/2 way off. They should have made that rubber flap permenantly removable. That sort of bonehead idea is almost as good as locating the headphone jack under the LCD screen on the XA10. I guess no camcorder is perfect, but the XA20 looks to be getting pretty close all in all.... Thes are just grips, not dealbeakers.

Don Palomaki August 14th, 2013 05:31 AM

Quote:

They should have made that rubber flap permenantly removable.
That is what Xacto knives are for - permenant removal<g>.