What should Canon put in an XA20/25 firmware update? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 7th, 2013, 12:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

What should Canon put in an XA20/25 firmware update?

I've had my XA20 for all of about two weeks now. I love it! It's a fantastic camera but, it could be better. I was just reading a discussion about high frame rates and it got me to thinking. The jist of the discussion was that a camera capable of 1080p60 has enough speed of processing to be also capable of 720p120. So if that is true, which I don't really know if it is, why not allow it on this camera?

So, here's what I would like to see Canon give us in what I think could be addressed in a firmware update.

-720p60 & 720p120
-Quick startup and/or a standby mode
-The ability to pan two audio inputs across the stereo spectrum in camera
-Actual numbers on the screen representing the zoom magnification
-The ability to have a function assigned to the custom button/dial in auto and another in manual without having to dig back into the menu

That's my list for now. What would you guys like to see in an update?

Pay attention Canon!!

Bob
Old August 7th, 2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: What should Canon put in an XA20/25 firmware update?

The ability to set/change white balance/color temperature while recording would seem to be the most obvious oversight with this camera, in my opinion.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 12:04 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi

The "problem" is that we will never see an update firmware for these canons

Ugo
Ugo Merlini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2013, 02:09 AM   #4
Major Player

I have the same thought that Ugo has. What it ships with is what we're stuck with i reckon. Its unfortunate. Hopefully the Magic Lantern guys delve into new territory and crack this sucker open. Gosh that would really make this camera fly off the shelves. One can dream :)
Old August 9th, 2013, 05:56 AM   #5
Wrangler

Firmware update usually address bugs, rarely adds new features that would have marketing value for the next generation camcorder, or encroach on a higher level product.

Canon history appears to be to do two in a series of their profesional/prosumer lines before moving on to a totally new model: consider: L1 and L2, XL1 and XL1s, GL1 and GL2, XH-A1 and XH-A1s, and so on. (The consumer line practice is different.)
Old August 18th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I was just at an event where I had the chance to talk to one of Canon's senior sales managers. I had the opportunity to give him my impressions of the XA-20 as well as mention some of the issues that have been mentioned on this group.

He has offered me the chance to send him an email which he has assured me will go to the appropriate regional video rep to send on to Canon in Japan.

They may not do anything but then again, this is a chance to let them know what we think. For example, when I pointed out that the microphone holder was too large for the Sennheiser ME-66 and that I had to install my own gasket to hold it in place, he thought that was something Canon should provide.

So, post away. I will compile what is posted here with what I had already discussed with him.

It doesn't hurt to try.....

Jeff
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 07:06 PM   #7
Wrangler

On mic diameter,

The AT875R came with a couple O-rings
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.T. Price View Post
I had the chance to talk to one of Canon's senior sales managers. He has offered me the chance to send him an email which he has assured me will go to the appropriate regional video rep to send on to Canon in Japan. I will compile what is posted here with what I had already discussed with him.
1) I need to be able to select, individually, which files to send back via FTP (not just 'all' or 'all new' as it is now). You can do this for deleting, why not for FTP?!

2) I need a low-bitrate interlaced mode for dual recording. In other words, when I'm out shooting the news, I want to film it in high quality for later edit but make a simultaneous low bitrate *interlaced* version for FTP back to the newsroom. At the moment I can only make a 25p version which is flickery when broadcast. The existing 5Mbps AVCHD would be fine, if only I could simul-record to it alongside 24Mbps AVCHD.

3) I'd like the FTP to happen in the background so I can carry on filming (so this means shifting the FTP function to the recording mode instead of playback). The news doesn't stop just because I'm trying to send back to base.

4) Would like to have multiple FTP server presets, not just the one. The cam allows you to set 4 WiFi access points, why not more than one FTP server too?

5) Would like an option for the control dial to step through the aperture and then (when aperture at max) to go on to increase the gain. At the moment, you have to go to max aperture then push that recessed button to toggle the dial through to Gain, then turn the dial again. It's fiddly when you're in a hurry and the button is awkward to get to when the cam's on a tripod.

6) The auto white balance often has a very pink cast, it seems well off compared to other cams.

7) When converting from one file format to another, just convert it as fast as possible, don't play it back in real time while the conversion takes place. I haven't time for this when out in the field.

8) Give me a Waveform Monitor or histogram!! (and don't hide it awkwardly away in the menus like on the HF-G25). Give me the option to make it appear when I'm changing the exposure and then vanish shortly afterwards (like Focus Assist mode does)

9) It would be nice to be able to program the assignable buttons to some features directly instead of them simply bringing up the relevant menu. Eg I might like to program a button to turn zebras on or off instantly (rather than bringing up the menu which then can be used to turn them on or off. Ditto peaking)

10) "Rec Review" would be really useful if only it a) played back more than 4 seconds of the last clip and b) played back the audio. At the moment, it's useless.

Regards
Dave

Last edited by David Johns; August 19th, 2013 at 05:58 AM. Reason: Minor spelling and clarification etc. Added point 10
David Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #9
Trustee

More frame rate options for slow & fast motion recording. I would like to be able to select anything down to say 1 frame per second for fast motion recording. That would allow me to get some timelapse stuff without the need to speed things up in post. At this time it is all locked into the usual shooting frame rates like 24, 30 & 60p so the fastest I can make the footage go without altering it in post is by using 24p frame rate with 60p meaning I get a speed up of 2.5x Not much good for a timelapse of a sunset for example.
Bryce
Old September 24th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #10
Tourist

Ooh, a wish list! Don't mind if I do :)

1) Ability to change parameters while recording, such as white balance, IS, etc

2) Dual record at MP4 35Mbps

3) Facebook upload like HFG30

4) Wifi control through access point, not camera's adhoc connection

5) Maybe a paid update to 4:2:2 codec 50mbps

6) 35MBps MP4 with LPCM
Jeremy McKay is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders