Anyone use this remote with XA10? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 12th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Major Player

Anyone use this remote with XA10?

Manfrotto MVR901EPLA http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/816009-REG/Manfrotto_MVR901EPLA_RC_Pan_Bar_EX.html
My question ... does anyone have any first hand experience with this remote and does the iris control work with the XA10? I really like the camera and have considered adding the XA20, but the wheel on the back is starting to be a real pain for stage event work. If I can't have a ring for the iris then I'll take a look at a remote that can control it ... assuming one exists.

Also, when using the wheel the iris seems to take a lot of turning to make changes, unlike an iris ring that makes immediate adjustments on other cameras.

I'm hoping to find a solution to the iris situation with a remote, but if not then I'm going back to my larger Sony's with external rings and buttons.

Thanks
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Anyone use this remote with XA10?

Scott,

I was in B&H today and noticed that they had this controller connected to the XA-20 there on display. But when I started asking some questions about it, the counter guy discovered that for some reason this particular unit wasn't working.

They did have the base part of this model (sans handle) which is apparently the exact same thing mounted on another camera there and I did play with that a bit.

B&H Photo Video Digital Cameras, Photography, Camcorders

This seemed like the obvious choice if there were no issues with mounting on the head of one's tripod.

All in all the zoom functions were quite smooth and seemed to work well. Hopefully someone else can provide further input to your other questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brooks View Post
Manfrotto MVR901EPLA Manfrotto RC Pan Bar EX Remote Control for LANCMVR901EPLA B&H

My question ... does anyone have any first hand experience with this remote and does the iris control work with the XA10?
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank you Tim. Did you use the iris control? If so, did you notice whether it was quick to respond? That's my main concern at this point in time ... that darned iris. My current remotes give me great control over zoom, but no iris.

By the way ... I'm envious of you guys that get to walk on the B&H showroom floor!
Scott Brooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Scott-- no, if it had iris control, I didn't see it. I don't see that mentioned in any of the reviews or feature lists. either. Still thinking it might be a worthwhile investment for my XA10 (and soon XA20).

As for B&H... went to trade show at Javits w/ better half but after walking around there for a couple of hours and finding nothing at all interesting to see, I abandoned her and strolled over to B&H where they have all the REAL toys and spent the rest of the morning there. :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Brooks View Post
Thank you Tim. Did you use the iris control? If so, did you notice whether it was quick to respond? That's my main concern at this point in time ... that darned iris. My current remotes give me great control over zoom, but no iris.

By the way ... I'm envious of you guys that get to walk on the B&H showroom floor!
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2013, 05:15 AM   #5
Wrangler

Quote:
And pay the NY sales tax on things they buy?!
Old August 21st, 2013, 08:10 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Don,

I always compare prices of course, but over the years I've found B&H prices-- even with the sales tax-- to be equal to or less than most other vendors. Often what may look like a better deal elsewhere turns out not to be the case when you get to checkout and discover high shipping or "handling" rates.

Even if one can save a few bucks on a purchase, the service, return policy & typical VERY fast delivery more than make up for it. Maybe if I'm buying a package of blank DVD's or something I'll just go by price, but if ordering an item for a few hundred or a few thousand dollars, B&H is my first choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
And pay the NY sales tax on things they buy?!
Tim Ribich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders