XLR cable for XA20? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 14th, 2013, 05:11 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XLR cable for XA20?

Just received my XA20 and Technica mike.

Need a really short XLR cable from back of mike to input on handle.

Any recommendations?

The cables I see online are 1.5 feet, which is way too long.

A short coiled cable would fit the bill.

Thanks.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #2
New Boot

Re: XLR cable for XA20?

Try this:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/893110-REG/kopul_m4000_8rc_coiled_3_pin_xlr_m_to.html
- Alan
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2013, 08:28 PM   #3
Major Player

A lot of cable connectors have threaded ends (or removable ends) and you can cut and re-solder the cable onto the end at whatever length you want. What bothers me is most of the pre-made cables have long connectors on the ends and that is just the opposite of what I'm looking for for an on-camera mic. I don't know if I like that coiled cable from the previous link. I think you can do better by making one up yourself at the length of your choosing.

One time I went out and bought about 4 female and 4 male ends that were short ...shorter length connectors than what you typically find on most pre-made cables, and about 20 ft of cable. Now I just make whatever length cables I need. The short connectors can be as much as an inch shorter each if you leave off the rear boot ...and it makes for a much more compact cable than what you normally find pre-made. Take a look at the following connector... then you just leave off the rear boot and it's pretty short.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150392-REG/Neutrik_NC3FX_NC3FX_Female_XLR_Connector.html
And it works out to be cheaper than pre-made cables too by the time you've made about 2 cables. Not a lot, but some.

Just an idea..
Old August 15th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #4
Wrangler

I've found that a right angle connector works well at the camcorder end of the cable with my XA10.
Old August 15th, 2013, 04:30 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Don,

Can you give us a link to the model and manufacturer for your XLR cable?

Thanks.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #6
Wrangler

I made (soldered) the cable myself. Cable was some generic mic cable cut to length I wanted.
I used Neutrik connectors ordered from an on line source. I forget whihc, but there are many of them.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders