XA20 Third Party Battery at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old August 26th, 2013, 07:48 AM   #1
Wrangler

XA20 Third Party Battery

Anyone found a decent 3rd party battery for the XA20 yet?
Old August 26th, 2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: XA20 Third Party Battery

I keep searching but have not found one yet. At some point someone has to make this battery though.
Derek Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #3
New Boot

I think the xa20 battery is the same as the hf-g30 batt. I got one at eBatts.com. It's the equivalent of the one that comes with the g30, and so far seems good. I was assured by eBatts that it is functionally the same.
Tom Kilgore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Kilgore View Post
I think the xa20 battery is the same as the hf-g30 batt. I got one at eBatts.com. It's the equivalent of the one that comes with the g30, and so far seems good. I was assured by eBatts that it is functionally the same.
What model number did you get. Looking at their website, there appears to be three that they claim will work but one is getting slammed under the user reviews as being incompatible.

Bob
Old August 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM   #5
Wrangler

I wonder if the reason the XA20/25 and G30 demand a different battery is because they use about 50% more power than the XA10. Given the sensitivities/hazards associated with Li ion battery technology, the safety features built into the BP819 series may have been set at too low a threshold for the XA10, and thus we have the BP820 series battery.
Old August 27th, 2013, 12:04 PM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Ohlemann View Post
What model number did you get. Looking at their website, there appears to be three that they claim will work but one is getting slammed under the user reviews as being incompatible.

Bob
B-9679H is the one I got
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:04 PM   #7
New Boot

Quote:
B-9679H is the one I got
The price 34.95. It's the larger one of the three offered.
Old August 27th, 2013, 07:12 PM   #8
New Boot

Quote:
The price 34.95. It's the larger one of the three offered.
There's a little confusion on my part, because I think there were only two offerings when I ordered mine. I am thinking that of the two offered at that time, the larger of the two was the same size as the battery that comes with the G30, eBatts does not indicate the Sony battery that their batteries replace, so it makes it a little confusing. Probably best to contact them and get clarification.
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:24 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
B-9679H is the one I got
Not doubting that yours works, but that is the one that has two reviews (8/4 and 8/24) saying that it does not work with these new cameras. I might just call ebatts to see what they say about these new Canon cameras and the batteries. I need another battery or two pretty bad and I really don't want to pay the asking price for the actual Canon batteries unless I absolutely have too.
Old August 28th, 2013, 06:46 AM   #10
Trustee

Not really my business, but do you really want to risk junking a $2000+ camera with a $30 Chinese knock-off battery? The BP820 is around $100, which is really quite reasonable for a camera at this level.

The OEM battery at least has more chance of being compatible and not letting you down mid-filming than the knock-offs.
Old August 28th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #11
Regular Crew

I've ran 3rd party batteries in nearly every video and still camera that I have owned over the past 10 years. Often times I've had better battery life from these 3rd party batteries than I did with OEM.

While I agree that OEM are going to have inherently less risk, if I can get as good or better life from a 3rd party battery that is known to work in a camera, then that is the route that I will take. If not then sure I will suck it up and buy an OEM battery or two.

Give it time, there will be quality 3rd party batteries that come along. These cameras are too new yet.
Old August 29th, 2013, 06:39 AM   #12
Wrangler

A primary issue with low cost third party batteries is the quality control during manufacture; both fit/finish and the internals. We recall that some third party sold for the XL1/GL1 were just a tad fatter than the Canon (by a few thousands of an inch) and did not fit in the XH-A1. You could force them in, but paid hell to get them out. (Problem fixed with some sand paper applied to the battery case).

In my experience some have a higher likelihood of battery failure overtime compared to an OEM battery. But is is also not uncommon to get a winner as well that is just as good.

You pays your money and takes your chances.
Old August 29th, 2013, 02:17 PM   #13
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
A primary issue with low cost third party batteries is the quality control during manufacture; both fit/finish and the internals. We recall that some third party sold for the XL1/GL1 were just a tad fatter than the Canon (by a few thousands of an inch) and did not fit in the XH-A1. You could force them in, but paid hell to get them out. (Problem fixed with some sand paper applied to the battery case).

In my experience some have a higher likelihood of battery failure overtime compared to an OEM battery. But is is also not uncommon to get a winner as well that is just as good.

You pays your money and takes your chances.
Very true. If you are producing work for clients, it is not advisable to take chances.

I just do videos for sharing with family and friends.
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:02 AM   #14
New Boot

Hi there,

My first post here, as I have been waiting some time now to reply as I've only just had my account validated, so here goes, rather belatedly.

I had made enquiries at Blue Nook in the US about Wasabi batteries to fit my XA20, I received an informative email back informing me that compatibile Wasabi batteries to fit HG-F30 / XA20 / XA25 should be available in approx two months time and to get back in touch with them nearer the middle part of September.

I had read of fairly favourable comments on Amazon on this particular make of battery, hence the reason I started searching on the net for them.

Here in the UK I can find the BP-828 from one seller at £88.02p, all others seem to want between £105 - £129.
Stephen Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #15
New Boot

Based on my positive experience with Wasabi batteries in my Panasonic Lumix GH3, I'd be willing to give the ones for my XA20 a try when they become available.
Alan Fitch is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders