DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   XA20 Lanc controller (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/518915-xa20-lanc-controller.html)

Stephen Dey September 5th, 2013 10:42 AM

Remote Lanc Control for XA20

I recently purchased (from Hong Kong) the Benro-RM25X remote control tripod handle for £39 delivered , when used with the XA20 is all it will control is the record stop / start, all the other controls DO NOT work, this particular model was supposed to be Canon compatible, I can only presume it is but with older Canon models, of which I don't have to test it with, so its now in the bottom of my wardrode unused.

After making further enquiries I was advised that the Libec ZC- 3DV was fully compatible, so spent another £100 on one, I am glad to say that it is indeed fully compatible and works the zoom and record functions, which is all I needed really.

Hope this may help others wasting their money if contemplating purchasing a remote.

Allen Bullman September 13th, 2013 09:22 AM

XA20 Lanc controller

Question: I would like to know if there is a good Lanc controller that anyone recommends that also does M focus for the XA20

Thanks

Chris Hurd September 13th, 2013 09:58 AM

Re: XA20 Lanc controller

Hi Allen and Stephen,

Quite a number of LANC remotes support manual focus. , and we have an entire forum dedicated to LANC remotes... you can read through it at Remote Lens Controllers Forum at DV Info Net

I'm sure that digging through that board for just a few minutes will show you how many options you have. Welcome to DVi!

Allen Bullman September 13th, 2013 10:12 AM

Thanks. I will look around there.

Stephen Dey September 14th, 2013 07:06 AM

Hi Allen,

May I suggest that the Libec ZFC-5HD may suit your needs, certainly cheaper than a Manfrotto sourced remote control ( Libec is about £175 here in UK )

I myself had considered this, but eventually dismissed this as I couldn't see me using the remote manual function much.

When I did purchase my ZD-3DV, the retailer also sold the Canon XA20, so was able to test it on that beforehand and was able to confirm that is was fully compatible before I ordered one.

Greenlee Brittenum January 11th, 2015 11:02 AM

I like the Varizoom controllers. I have used a VZ rock for years on a number of different Sony and Canon cameras with great results. I also have the Canon ZR-1000 that I use now and then. I think the Varizoom has finer control for zoom and I like its ability to turn on and off manual focus.

Dave O'Melia February 4th, 2015 10:22 PM

I use a Varioom controller with my XA20. Really like it.