First wedding with XA20 - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old January 12th, 2014, 10:31 AM   #31
Inner Circle

Re: First wedding with XA20

You need to buy one and try it for yourself. See what you think.

If you re-read the thread, Anthony, the issue with white balance at times was mentioned by Tim originally.

I have found for me that if I did not get the white balance right with this camera it can be very difficult to correct in post. I have found that for certain indoor lighting situations white balance can be hard to achieve with it. This is my experience. Try it out for yourself.

Outdoors it's fine most the time.

Last wedding I worked with two people trying to set white balance on the camera and we never got it right. With the XA10 I just didn't have as much trouble. The issue with the white balance for me has been that the image can seem lifeless and dull or overly warm. It's just weird at times.
Jeff Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:41 AM   #32
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurice Covington View Post
What type of shooting are you planning to use the XA 20 for? And, do you need the XLR jacks or can you get by with the less expensive HF G30?
Hi Maurice, wedding videos and to use it as a B camera to my pmw320.
I think I would prefer the XLR inputs, you never know when you might need them.

Thanks.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2014, 10:45 AM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
You need to buy one and try it for yourself. See what you think.
:)

Thanks Jeff for you thoughts....its good to know this all the same.

You said the outside shots were fine..most of the time, Its more inside clips that I was interested in.
I have an X900 and use it for inside shots at my weddings and no bother with white balance with it.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; January 12th, 2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old January 12th, 2014, 05:21 PM   #34
Wrangler

Discharge and energy saving types of lighting can often make white balance a problem (with just about any camcorder) because they have a unnatural color spectrum.

Are there any video gear rental places near you? That is one way to give one a spin.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:20 PM   #35
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
Discharge and energy saving types of lighting can often make white balance a problem (with just about any camcorder) because they have a unnatural color spectrum.

Are there any video gear rental places near you? That is one way to give one a spin.
Your right about those types of lighting Dan, that can make white balancing a problem and no, nothing near me to rent out and try :)

Thanks Dan.
Old January 12th, 2014, 06:24 PM   #36
Inner Circle

Is it then not just a matter of using a fixed tungsten whitebalance preset if you shoot indoor (if you have issues setting the right WB) and correct in post when needed?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 08:57 AM   #37
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Harper View Post
With the XA10 I just didn't have as much trouble.
Hi Jeff,

I'm about to purchase my first HD camera. I only shoot a couple of weddings a year. Would you recommend that I purchase the XA10, or should I pay the extra $500 for the XA20? I'm also considering the Panasonic AC90.

Thanks!
Jim Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:18 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Jim, as you may know, things change so rapidly in this field. Right now I would recommend the Sony RX10 over both. But it does depend on your needs and only you can make the choice.

If you need a "proper" conventional videocamera with XLR inputs, I personally prefer the XA10. For long zooms I use a Panasonic LZ200 from the back of a church, etc., but that camera is not worth much for anything except long zooms, but for that it is exceptional. It's worth the $500 since an equivalent lens alone would cost thousands.

Others here are happy with the XA20. It is a more modern camera. It has wi-fi and other great features. But it also lacks an internal HD which I missed. Other, better videographers than me might recommend the XA20 over the XA10, and I won't argue that. I can only give you my perspective. I did not care for the way the XA20 rendered colors. Initially when I bought the camera I was impressed but the longer I worked with it the less I liked it.

It's tough to make a purchase like this. If you order from somewhere like B&H you will have no issues returning the camer if you don't like it.

AC90 I would not consider simply because of some focus issues I've read about. Some say it's great but the publicity it's recieved has been not so favorable, so I would not look at it, but that is not to say it's not a decent camera.

Last edited by Jeff Harper; February 3rd, 2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:27 AM   #39
Major Player

Tm,

While your questions wasn't asked to me directly, I wanted to offer my opinion if that;s okay. In direct response to your question, if you need the XLR's and the 20x zoom, I would go with the XA20. If not, I would go with the XA10. With that being said, if it were me, I would wait until after NAB 2014. I'm hearing that there are 20 new 4K cameras that are coming out and surprisingly, there will be some on both the high end consumer and entry level professional side. If this is true, the XA series should go down in price.
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 10:09 AM   #40
New Boot

Thanks Jeff and Maurice!

The Sony RX10 would be in my budget, but I would need some training with digital cameras. I shoot weddings solo and need a run and gun type of camcorder.

I like the idea of the internal drive as well, but guess I need to consider the 20x zoom.

I'm purchasing for March 1st wedding, so unfortunately need to pull trigger shortly.

Thanks again for the feedback!
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:29 PM   #41
Major Player

Jim,

If you're planning to purchase this camera for a March wedding that is roughly a month away and you don't have relevant experience shooting video on a DSLR,

DON'T DO IT (unless expectations are minimal) !!

You will need to be familiar with the camera, it's settings and how best to use it in the various situations you'll be shooting in. Do you have the various lenses in your budget?

If you have a rental company in your area and you need a camera, that you are comfortable shooting with, I'd consider renting as an option.

Here is the address to a store that rents equipment possibly in your area.

Philadelphia
1400 S. Columbus Blvd.
Philadelphia, PA 19147
Maurice Covington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2014, 01:45 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Maurice, FYI, the RX10 is mirrorless, not DSLR, and it has a fixed lens. I'm guessing it's a pretty easy camera to learn compared to most DSLRs.

He's going to have to learn any camera he purchases. The RX10 autofocus works as well or better than many videocameras and would be a breeze to learn, IMO.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 04:56 PM   #43
New Boot

@ Maurice and Jeff- thank you both for your feedback!

My friend uses the Sony NX30 as a second camera for weddings, so he let me borrow it...to get a feel for an HD camera. He recommends that I buy that model, which seems similar to the XA10/20 and has 96GB internal space, but I keep getting drawn back to the canon...decisions-decisions. :)
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:57 AM   #44
Major Player

I have been controlling my White Balance on my XA20 with Warm Cards from Vortex Media and more than happy with the results from a range of awkward lighting situations that I've encountered the last few days.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 07:43 PM   #45
Wrangler

For weddings, first and foremost, get a camcorder with which you will be comfortable, and learn to use it. There are no second takes for missed or blown shots. One of the biggest mistakes people can make is showing up at a job with a new piece of gear they don't know how to use.

Internal memory is nice, a convenience perhaps, but an affordable pair of 32 GB cards can record a lot more video than at least I would care to have to go through to edit a moderate priced wedding down to a 90 minute DVD..

That said, it usually is better to get the newer camcorder then the the 4-year old earlier model, unless ther is some critical feature missing in the new model.

I have both XA10 and a XA20, and prefer the XA20.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders