DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/)
-   -   XA 20 OLED Image (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xa-vixia-series-avchd-camcorders/519618-xa-20-oled-image.html)

Robert Young October 22nd, 2013 06:21 PM

XA 20 OLED Image

I just took delivery of a new XA 20.
To my eye, the OLED screen images look a bit flat and washed out.
Even the VF imagery looks a bit more punchy.
When I import the actual footage, it looks great- good color, contrast, exposure, etc., so the issue is just with the screen image.
I'm used to the Sony LED on EX and CX series- all of which provide a strikingly rich image.
Is this par for the course with the XA 20, or is something amiss with this particular camera?

Bryce Comer October 22nd, 2013 10:31 PM

Re: XA 20 OLED Image

I think it's par for the course with this camera Robert. I too have been shooting with an XA 20 beside a Sony EX-3 & have tried adjusting the colours to match more closely what I see, & what the EX looks like. I have it a little closer, but really, it's pretty far off the mark at the default settings, & tweaking it only improves it slightly.
Bryce

Don Palomaki October 23rd, 2013 06:00 AM

Given the dynamic range limitations of modest cost displays, a punchy (contrasty) display may tend to mask shadow and/or highlight details. One could argue that the more important functions of the camera display are framing and focusing the shot, not color/contrast correction. A better display woud bump up the price point.

Robert Young October 23rd, 2013 04:49 PM

I don't think cost is the issue.
The XA 20 has a fairly hi-end OLED HD display.
It has certainly got to be on a par cost-wise with the Sony CX 760 ($1,500).
I'm guessing that maybe Canon has deliberately set the image to be rather flat, perhaps to exhibit the dynamic range of the cam (details in the shadows, etc.).
The Sony LCD images are rather jaw-dropping, so it's a bit of an adjustment for me.

Robert Young October 23rd, 2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryce Comer (Post 1817870)
... I too have been shooting with an XA 20 beside a Sony EX-3 ...

Bryce
Are you able to easily color match the Sony and Canon footage such that you can intercut seamlessly, or is this a big hassle??

Bryce Comer October 23rd, 2013 06:29 PM

I have been using the 2 cameras together but with a Nikon 80-400mm lens on the EX-3 for close ups, & the XA-20 set on a wide shot. I haven't shot them side by side using the stock lens on the EX-3. There is certainly more dynamic range in the EX-3. As far as matching the cams, i'm sure it could be done with picture profiles for the EX-3, but to be honest, I find they cut rather well using that lens & a bit of CC on the EX footage to match the Canon.
All this is outdoors in the forest, so lots of green & brown. Not sure if they would match up as well shooting everyday stuff.
Regards,
Bryce

Jeff Harper October 23rd, 2013 10:40 PM

I agree with OP, LED is very flat, much more so than the XA10. I find the images flatter as well, must play with it to tweak it. I have found it challenging under certain conditions to manually set WB with this camera. At times it looks bad no matter what, mainly under certain indoor lighting conditions. Other times it's great. For the price point a 20x zoom is great when coupled with XLR connectors. Sadly, my $500 FZ200 does a better job at full zoom, so the XA20 has lost a bit of it's luster.