XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old October 29th, 2013, 06:50 PM   #1
New Boot

XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options

I just purchased a Porta-Brace QSM-4 Quick Slick for my XA20 and I am disappointed in the fit. While their website says it fits a wide range of cameras, the QSM-4 is double the physical size of the small XA20 making it a tough sell in my book. I shoot mostly high school football and being in the elements late in the season is part of the biz.

The overall length of the cover is 15-1/2" while the XA20 is 9" from lens hood to eye cup. I have emailed two different people at Porta-Brace and have not received an answer yet. The neoprene lens hood 'gasket' could essentially wrap around twice, yet doesn't have velcro sewed around the entire length to make that seal.

Has anyone else had this issue? Are there any other choices available that someone is currently using?

Thanks, Tim
Attached Thumbnails
XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options-qsm-4-front-view.jpg   XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options-qsm-4-side-view.jpg  

Tim Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2013, 07:17 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options

I had the same issue Tim,
In the end, I went to fabric land, bought a bunch of materials & after a quick lesson from the lovely wife on the sewing machine, I made myself one. Modelled it on a couple I already had for other cameras then scaled it down to fit the XA20. In the end, I was very happy with the result. Cost all of about $40 in materials & looks top notch too!
Sorry I can't be of any help in finding something off the shelf, but if you know of someone that can sew, it really is the only option that I could find for a perfect fit.

Regards,
Bryce
Old November 9th, 2013, 09:47 AM   #3
New Boot

I would love to find a good rain slicker for my xa20. Do you think eventually more options will come out?
Colton Sitzes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Trustee

Hi Bryce - We sure know about the rain stuff, don't we. Down here in Washington we call it "Oregon Mist", as in missed Oregon, hit Washington!

Okay, now for the serious stuff. I've been wanting a slicker for my camera for some time now but buying one via "mail order" like what Colton did is scary. There are so many camera makes, sizes, and configurations that there is practically no way for some off-the-shelf slicker to fit the way you'd like.

Having a slicker just fit the camera is one thing but if it needs to accommodate the mic (using an add-on mic on the camera, say) and, or, a light (again, using an add-on light), throws the slicker into a "custom-made" design.

In my case, I want to do video work from the deck of a sailboat so significant windage is an issue. Because the boat is only 35-feet and there is no grip crew available it is a one-man show. Come to think of it, maybe more of a comedy show!

North of Campbell River the maritime influence starts to set in and the weather, even in Fogust, is often overcast, drizzly, and further north, rainy. Ditto Tofino and north on the west coast. On our trip to Alaska in the summer we just about lived in yellow rain slickers. Taking video in this climate with the high apparent wind is a real challenge.
Crossing the Strait of Juan de Fuca:
Even when it isn't raining there is often saltwater spray over the deck and cameras don't like salt sprayed on them.

The wind noise is clearly audible as I was using a Rode Stereo Video Mic but with a "dead cat" - totally inadequate at 14 knots apparent but better than nothing. I'm pretty sure the "low cut" was "On".

Trying to come up with a custom slicker will be a real challenge.

Question: While we know you made your slicker from scratch I was wondering what design details you used:
What kind of material?
How did you provide for lens protection, if any?
How did you deal with audio? Cable or camera mounted mic?
Did you come across any "How to do it" articles?

For what I want, I'm thinking of having a fair amount of clear plastic so I can see the camera controls easer but if the plastic film is on the thick side so it can withstand use it isn't very flexible.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2013, 12:17 AM   #5
Trustee

Hi John,
Sorry for the late reply. To answer some of your questions, I basically just looked at both the rain slicker I have for my Canon XH A1 & Sony EX-3 & tried to come up with a design that would work for the XA 20 that I liked. Materials were all sourced from the local sewing shop and were a combination of heavy cordura, a heavy but flexible clear plastic, & various other bits & pieces. I will have to ask my wife what they all are & confirm, as it's not something I normally deal in.
As far as protection for the lens goes, I just use a clear filter & the rain slicker cinches up around the lens barrel with elastic.
There is room for a short shotgun mic & cabling as well all under the slicker.
Sorry I don't know of any how to articles, but when I have a minute, I will take a few pics of the one I made & hopefully that might help.
Regards,
Bryce
Old November 18th, 2013, 11:35 AM   #6
Trustee

Bryce - I didn't realize that Rossland was way inland. Seems like most BC members are from the coast area where we get rain. You guys are probably getting snow now, eh?

Clear lens filter - that is a good idea. Good way to keep things from getting distorted. Probably won't need my sun shade anyway. :-)

In my previous post I mentioned about a camera light and after thinking about it, I don't think that will be necessary.

The mic, though, I will need but I can work that issue separately. My mic will need wind protection. If I use the Rycote Windshield with the Windjammer then I'm looking at a real project. Camera first, though.
John Nantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #7
New Boot

I wanted to share the photos that the good people at Alphatron Media (Camrade) sent me of the of the XA20-XA25 Rain slicker. These photos do not appear on their website, but after asking for a few photos to help with my decision they delivered. It's a shame that a company like Portabrace has yet to reply to my question regarding a rain cover for my XA20, since I've owned about a half dozen of their products over the years.
Attached Thumbnails
XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options-img_2799.jpg   XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options-img_2800.jpg  

XA20/25 Rain Slicker Options-img_2801.jpg  
Tim Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Regular Crew

I hope the accessories start to come out soon. I recently returned from a long filming trip in New Zealand. The camera held up well, fortunately, in the drizzle and salt spray. However, I missed getting some excellent footage on one outing as it was raining just a bit too much for the angle I would have held the camera up to video the species. It would have meant too much water falling on the front of the camera.
J.T. Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2014, 06:17 AM   #9
Major Player

Has anyone tried a Kata CRC-13 Rain Cover with their XA20? I've been looking at it and can’t quite decide whether it’ll be too big or not. All my work will be on a tripod.
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2014, 01:44 AM   #10
Tourist

Does anyone has a real picture of an XA20 in the Camrade wetsuit?

At the moment I haven't seen any wetsuit that actually fits the XA20.

Kind regards,
John
John Van den Eede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31st, 2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Major Player

I have been looking around for a raincover that will fit the Canon XA20 handheld and on a tripod. I think I have finally found one that will fit. It is a C71.1 'Clearview' Camera and Video Cover from Wildlife Watching Supplies. I’ve had items from them in the past and they have always been sterling products so I’ve gone ahead and ordered one. I’ll post my thoughts and an image when it arrives.
Old February 1st, 2014, 07:02 AM   #12
Major Player

Well, my C71 'Clear-view' Camera and Video Cover arrived promptly in the post this morning from Wildlife Watching Supplies. The quality is excellent as I thought it would be.

It fits the Canon XA20 very well with the handle and microphone mount attached. It has a slit on the bottom for it to be tripod mounted if desired. Also it is perfect for placing my hand through when hand holding the cam.

It is a tapered design so the draw string nearest the lens is almost a perfect match with the lens hood attached. The rear is big enough to get a hand in to access the controls yet with the draw cord can close around the viewfinder to keep the elements out.

I will add that without the handle attached it makes using the flip out monitor easier when the draw string is tightened at the rear of the cam.

It’s the best fitting rain cover I have found for the XA20 to date. I’ll post up images if anyone is interested.
Old February 4th, 2014, 06:37 AM   #13
Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Inglis View Post
I’ll post up images if anyone is interested.
Interested :-)

Thanks Paul.
John Van den Eede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2014, 11:50 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Van den Eede View Post
Interested :-)

Thanks Paul.
I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them up :)
Old February 5th, 2014, 04:45 AM   #15
Tourist

Thanks ;-)

Apparently the Polish 'Foton' is working on a custom XA20 Raincover.
Will post here when there is news about that.
John Van den Eede is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders