WiFi problem connecting XA20 to Samsung Tablet at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old December 16th, 2013, 08:08 AM   #1
New Boot

WiFi problem connecting XA20 to Samsung Tablet

I'm having problems with connecting my XA20 to a Samsung tablet or smartphone. The active/alive state of the Wifi button at the bottom on the FUNC menu and the one at the bottom of the FUNC/MENU setting is very intermittant. To change them from greyed out to alive state requires repeatedly switching the cam on and off and waiting between each attempt sometimes for up to 10 mins. I have removed the ext mike handle and kept the antenna area free.

When the buttons do become active and after entering a password the tablet will recognise the cam but then give "out of range" or "failed authentication" messages. This is after making certain that the pw is correct and the cam and tablet are within 2 metres of each other.

If a connection is eventually achieved, the tablet screen will show the camera view but not register any changes of the cam view, nor will any buttons on the tablet affect the cams controls.

Am I missing a step somewhere, or could it be a faulty camera?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

(I first posted this in "XA-20 is a fine camera", but following Don Palomaki's advice I started this new thread)

Last edited by Neil Preston; December 16th, 2013 at 08:12 AM. Reason: Additional content.
Neil Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2013, 04:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: WiFi problem connecting XA20 to Samsung Tablet

To me sounds like a faulty camera. Works fine for me, the wifi remote button just stays lit when I turn on the wifi, a yellow wifi tag appears in the vf and it's easy to monitor/control from an ipad. Magic.
(btw, Don was right, I would have missed the post in the XA20 thread)

Last edited by Rainer Listing; December 16th, 2013 at 05:35 PM. Reason: add btw
Rainer Listing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 07:06 AM   #3
New Boot

When I decided to purchase a new camcorder I was swayed to seriously consider the XA20 as a contender due to its WiFi capabilities, I must admit that I was a bit dissapointed with this feature :

It won't connect to my Windows 8 computer directly thro' my Netgear DG834G router.

It does connects with my tablet, but the delay when operating the XA20 remotely is not really what I would have expected, I have also remotely controlled it from a smart phone, again there is a delay which is not really acceptable ( or was I expecting too much ).

I agree with Rainer, and suspect it must be a fault in the cameras WiFi.
Stephen Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2013, 02:55 PM   #4
New Boot

Not sure if this would be any help to you

XA20
Ross Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 09:42 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks for the replies guys. Sorry about the delay responding, but I have been away. I've decided that it's most likely a faulty camera and will follow up with the supplier after the holidays.
Neil Preston is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders