Buy Canon XA20 or Panasonic X920. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders
For the Canon XA25, XA20, XA10 and all VIXIA / LEGRIA Series AVCHD camcorders.

Old January 8th, 2014, 12:14 PM   #1
Trustee

Buy Canon XA20 or Panasonic X920.

If you were to buy one of them for picture quality only, what one would you choose?
I know the XA20 is more that twice the price of the X920, is it twice the picture quality?

I'm asking because I was thinking of a B camera backup and to use along with my PMW-320.

Thanks in advance.
Anthony McErlean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM   #2
Wrangler

Re: Buy Canon XA20 or Panasonic X920.

Review at: Panasonic HC-X920 Review & Rating | PCMag.com

The x920 is more a direct competitor to the Canon HF G20 (or G30), not the XA20.
And the reviews seem to indicate that the G20/G30 are better camcorders, but at a somewhat higher price point perhaps.

The XA20 adds some features such as XLR connectors, larger zoom range (as does the G30), and IR shooting capability and is the more professional product
Old January 8th, 2014, 04:57 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post

The XA20 adds some features such as XLR connectors, larger zoom range (as does the G30), and IR shooting capability and is the more professional product
Thanks Don, the XA20 is no doubt a more pro camera and I was very tempted to buy one.
I have a TM900 and an X900, both great wee cameras but wouldn't use one to record a full wedding if the need occured.
From what I've read on the Dvinfo forum, there wouldn't be a problem using the XA20 to record a full wedding.

I just wondered if there is much difference in picture quality between the two cameras?

Thank you.
Anthony McErlean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:06 AM   #4
Wrangler

Others will have to comment on comparitive video. I've not used a TM900 or X900.

I have used a TM700 and find the XA10 and XA20 both produced more pleasing video. TM700 I usd had unreliable white balance, colors tended to be oversaturation, and edges over sharpened by comparison.

The XA20 has several significant improvements over the XA10 but gave up the analog component output and built-in memory (not significant issues for me). If you do not need the handle, XLR, or IR capability the G30 saves some coin. No problem with them for typical weddings unless you need a large form factor for appearences.
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:30 AM   #5
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Palomaki View Post
..No problem with them for typical weddings unless you need a large form factor for appearences.
Size isn't everything :) ..its the finished product that's important.

I didn't know you own an XA20 Don, so, no problem recording a wedding with one of these then.
Thats good to know, and your talking from experience.

From what I've been reading the XA20 is good in low light as well.

I would prefer to have the XLR inputs BTW.

Thanks Don for your advice.

Last edited by Anthony McErlean; January 9th, 2014 at 08:19 AM.
Anthony McErlean is online now   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon XA and VIXIA Series AVCHD Camcorders